Rehoming/rescue dogs

yorkyexile

Striker
Now that the moggies are gone the house is empty and we have been talking about a dog. Anyone have any experience of rehoming rescue dogs and wheres the best place to go?

Are you in York? Have a trip up to the RSPCA place at Clifton.

It is always a gamble but we have had two great dogs that were rescues.
no further over towards Huddersfield way but can travel if required. Just been having a look on the dogs trust website but they seem restrictive as to who they`ll rehome to. The mrs doesnt work so is in and out all day so we more or less meet the requirement of someone home but theres a lot of other stuff like no kids/no pets etc

We found the Dogs Trust difficult. Almost every pet said no kids. They don’t tend to rehome to people who even work part time, then told my retired late sixties owners they were too old. It is a wonder they rehome any. It is worth searching for local shelters, perhaps even having a chat to some.

You do have to be prepared for a few problems. Our first dog didn’t like kids. He had been a stray so we didn’t know any background. Though when our daughter was born he loved her. I think with some young kids in the family he learned they were not a threat. My current dog is lovely but has occasionally snacked at people for no reason. A couple of times it has been people running past. It makes us nervous near people, but then other times he either ignores people or trots up to say hello.

We've got 4 at the moment. Living in Spain it is almost inevitable you'll wake up one morning and find a mutt tied to the gate one day.
We're lucky we have a lot of space and there's just the two of us so the stressors that some folks face we don't have and as we are both retired it means we can give a lot of energy to them.
The thing with re-homing abused dogs you don't know their history. You don't know what abuse they suffered, you don't know how mal-educated they were. One of ours still absents himself if there are children around. Obviously we guess he must have been tormented at one stage.
What they do need imho is routine, safety, boundaries and patience. Loads of patience.
Ours have been infinitely rewarding but it took the eldest 4 years to respond to affection. He obviously had no heritage in that respect. But each one has shown something akin to gratitude as time has gone on. They all have individual foibles and you just have to roll with it in the first few months. But once they get into the routine and experience the absence of unpredictable or cruel behaviour they respond in leaps and bounds. Good luck, well done.

After reading your twos exploits it seems a bit less daunting. I know there will/could be problems but the behaviours you`ve explained sounds no different to any other animals we`ve had and we know where they came from. Apart from the nationals is there anywhere to find out the reputability of local independent centers? i`ve tried the kennel club website but they only give you the details of 1 or 2

Are you in York? Have a trip up to the RSPCA place at Clifton.

It is always a gamble but we have had two great dogs that were rescues.

This. 2 as well for me from there. Both fantastic dogs.

Agree with you also about dogs trust (the Leeds branch)

Last edited:
We got our dog from Pawz For Thought in Sunderland and, I have to say, I couldn't have been more impressed. At the time our kids were pretty young (years ago mind) and, as a result they advised us not to consider certain dogs we were considering that they were looking to rehouse. Once we were matched with a dog they thought might be a suitable match though they provided a fair bit of initial support and we ended up with a perfect family pet.

Hope you get sorted.

We've got 4 at the moment. Living in Spain it is almost inevitable you'll wake up one morning and find a mutt tied to the gate one day.
We're lucky we have a lot of space and there's just the two of us so the stressors that some folks face we don't have and as we are both retired it means we can give a lot of energy to them.
The thing with re-homing abused dogs you don't know their history. You don't know what abuse they suffered, you don't know how mal-educated they were. One of ours still absents himself if there are children around. Obviously we guess he must have been tormented at one stage.
What they do need imho is routine, safety, boundaries and patience. Loads of patience.
Ours have been infinitely rewarding but it took the eldest 4 years to respond to affection. He obviously had no heritage in that respect. But each one has shown something akin to gratitude as time has gone on. They all have individual foibles and you just have to roll with it in the first few months. But once they get into the routine and experience the absence of unpredictable or cruel behaviour they respond in leaps and bounds. Good luck, well done.

What a star.
Wonderful.

Whereabouts in spain , i bought a place there 20 yrss ago but we couldnt do without all mod cons in thise days.

no further over towards Huddersfield way but can travel if required. Just been having a look on the dogs trust website but they seem restrictive as to who they`ll rehome to. The mrs doesnt work so is in and out all day so we more or less meet the requirement of someone home but theres a lot of other stuff like no kids/no pets etc
Aye, we went to the dogs trust once and tried to register. As soon as I said we both worked, they more or less showed us the door. Pretty rude about it tbh
We still haven’t got a dog, we have a big house, massive secure garden, walk miles nearly everyday. But not allowed to have a dog because we won’t be with it every single second of the day
These are dogs that have been kicked to fuck off previous owners and look so sad in them kennels

Aye, we went to the dogs trust once and tried to register. As soon as I said we both worked, they more or less showed us the door. Pretty rude about it tbh
We still haven’t got a dog, we have a big house, massive secure garden, walk miles nearly everyday. But not allowed to have a dog because we won’t be with it every single second of the day
These are dogs that have been kicked to fuck off previous owners and look so sad in them kennels
Most seem to say four hours is the maximum you can leave them alone. We work but in laws pop in to take the hound for a trot. To be fair the rescue we got him from knew we'd sometimes be away longer than that but the poor bugger was used to being left for 12 hours a day because his previous owner did long shifts a fair distance from home.

The no kids/ no pets will vary from dog to dog. With ours they said 10 year old plus children initially but reassessed once they had met our son who was 7 because they could see he had a good understanding of dogs.( had to hammer it in to him because he'd want to stroke every dog we saw, a walk to the local shop could take an hour with a dozen " please can I stroke your dog?" Questions each way.
Make sure you get good insurance though, ours broke his leg and with a few complications and a second op needed because the plate was restricting movement in his " wrist" it came to 7k in vets bills.

Last edited:
We homed our last dog when the kids were 3 and 4... but they'd grown up with the breed and that meant the rescues we contacted were fine with it as long as we took their guidance as to which dogs might be suitable. First one we met really wasn't a good match, but they had another they thought might work and she fitted in here really well.

Ours are retired greyhounds - not everyone's cup of tea dog-wise but I love the daft buggers (they ain't wired up right in the head bless 'em)

In the Hudd

Who did you get insurance with.

I need to get sorted but it seems really expensive. Most places looked 35 quid upwards.

Most seem to say four hours is the maximum you can leave them alone. We work but in laws pop in to take the hound for a trot. To be fair the rescue we got him from knew we'd sometimes be away longer than that but the poor bugger was used to being left for 12 hours a day because his previous owner did long shifts a fair distance from home.

The no kids/ no pets will vary from dog to dog. With ours they said 10 year old plus children initially but reassessed once they had met our son who was 7 because they could see he had a good understanding of dogs.( had to hammer it in to him because he'd want to stroke every dog we saw, a walk to the local shop could take an hour with a dozen " please can I stroke your dog?" Questions each way.
Make sure you get good insurance though, ours broke his leg and with a few complications and a second op needed because the plate was restricting movement in his " wrist" it came to 7k in vets bills.

Who did you get insurance with.

I need to get sorted but it seems really expensive. Most places looked 35 quid upwards.
Pet Plan, it's 31 quid a month and a limit of 4K per annum. We were fairly lucky that 4 k was paid in that year and the second op fell in the next year, we still ended up paying a chunk in the period at the end of the firstbyear( about 1500) but it could have been much worse!

Back