Referee tells funny story about Chesterfield v Sunderland

My Dad had some great stories of when he was a Ref.

One that come's to mind was when he told me about a game that involved a copper playing. He booked the copper for a bad foul and as the copper walked away, the copper shouted, "REF! next time I see you on the road, I'm going to book you for speeding". My dad shouted back, " Come here son". When the copper came over my dad said "Look, you may be the law off the field, but while you are on the field, I am the law", then showed him a second yellow, then red. It made me feel really proud of him. :lol: :D

Can see the lino running fast at the final whistle but no pitch invasion.

Commentary and camerawork is class - just what you want from your late 80s local media productions!

Highlights include “it’s just not fair” when the ref gives us a pen. And calling the Sunderland fans “arseholes” at half time and full time 😅
Commentary and camerawork is class - just what you want from your late 80s local media productions!

Highlights include “it’s just not fair” when the ref gives us a pen. And calling the Sunderland fans “arseholes” at half time and full time 😅
Edit - I don’t think he was calling our fans arseholes. He was chatting about a cup of tea to someone sitting nearby

Last edited:
Yeah I was there for the 87/8 game and it was 1-1, can’t remember any bother. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story

There was trouble that day. There was fighting in the town and then in the end to our right as we stood in the side.

I think there might have been some in the seats too but it was a long time ago!

Yeah I was there for the 87/8 game and it was 1-1, can’t remember any bother. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story

Did we have a side of the ground and did it rain a lot?

There's one of the away games i went too in that season and i haven't got a clue where it was :)

One of my first ever away games. Used to suffer from really bad migraines as a kid and got one in the car as my dad drove down. That linesman makes more stuff up than Sol Campbell.

I remember when we equalised, the absolute mayhem in the stands was something else

Did we have a side of the ground and did it rain a lot?

There's one of the away games i went too in that season and i haven't got a clue where it was :)
We had half the side where the camera was, behind the goal and some seats to the left of the stand opposite the camera

As is the case with most of these old school footy “lads” with great crack doing the rounds on these podcasts. You can’t believe a word coming out of their mouths. Absolutely honking crack.

Telling tall stories is fair enough but at least check that their isn't actual footage of the game in question that so easily undoes the fib. He even says there were 5000 Sundeland fans at the game in fact the record shows there was in total only 5700 spectators in the entire ground. :D

My Dad had some great stories of when he was a Ref.

One that come's to mind was when he told me about a game that involved a copper playing. He booked the copper for a bad foul and as the copper walked away, the copper shouted, "REF! next time I see you on the road, I'm going to book you for speeding". My dad shouted back, " Come here son". When the copper came over my dad said "Look, you may be the law off the field, but while you are on the field, I am the law", then showed him a second yellow, then red. It made me feel really proud of him. :lol: :D

Brilliant 😂

I used to train with Dermot Gallagher in the local Gym. I real nice bloke.

Told me some cracking stories, one involving Razor Ruddock and a young Michael Owen.
Game in full flow, Owen nutmegs Ruddock and Ruddock openly shouts, “I’m going to you.”
Minutes later does it again right in front of Gallagher.
Owen looks up, “Ref you heard that.”
Gallagher shouts back, “Play on he’s talking to you not me.”

He was a Pox fan and we had some banter. Actually met him at an Oxford game.

Was sent this yesterday, very good.
Saltergate away you could have a piss on the away terrace and look up at somebody’s window.

Last edited:
Brilliant 😂

I used to train with Dermot Gallagher in the local Gym. I real nice bloke.

Told me some cracking stories, one involving Razor Ruddock and a young Michael Owen.
Game in full flow, Owen nutmegs Ruddock and Ruddock openly shouts, “I’m going to you.”
Minutes later does it again right in front of Gallagher.
Owen looks up, “Ref you heard that.”
Gallagher shouts back, “Play on he’s talking to you not me.”
I'm sure I heard him tell a similar tale but using ruddock and cantona and cantona chasing razor off the pitch after he kept turning his collar down.

defo trouble beforehand at the game, also someone ran from home end, stopped on halfway line had a quick chat with Eric Gates then went on their merry way.
Also Paul Atkinson was going down wing in second half , got fouled and a traffic cone came flying on the pitch from the side. Nearly took Chesterfield players head off.
Claim to fame, in this game . got a touch of ball in second half deflected shot came into our end, hoyed it back on to corner flag ( had to take step back as fences at front came back into terracing ( was getting abuse from fellow supporters for delaying ) :cry::D

Back