Reduce 550D's Build in flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using the 550d's built in flash to trigger an external flash gun (I don't have a wireless system)

Is there any way to turn down the power of the internal flash? for the life of me I cant find it anywhere.

HebburnMackem said:
I'm using the 550d's built in flash to trigger an external flash gun (I don't have a wireless system)

Is there any way to turn down the power of the internal flash? for the life of me I cant find it anywhere.

Can't you make the flash mode manual, rather than ettl? You can on my 7d? Then, you can reduce the flash power.

(well, you can't actually reduce the power, but you make the amount of time that the flash is lit shorter.. )

I looked for this on my 7d, can't be done.. used flash compensation to try and make filling with the flash not look so shit at dusk.. does the 550d have that?

Failing that you could get creative.. what about using rice paper / tracing paper? or perhaps cut up some opaque food containers?

I looked for this on my 7d, can't be done.. used flash compensation to try and make filling with the flash not look so shit at dusk.. does the 550d have that?

Failing that you could get creative.. what about using rice paper / tracing paper? or perhaps cut up some opaque food containers?

translucent

It does have flash compensation, but it does not seem to do much.

Logon or register to see this image

I'm surprised it's not possible to reduce the power as easy on the flashgun.

As suggested, I might have to use plastic containers etc.

ta

can like. MENU-flash control-Built-in-flash func setting-flash mode

change it from E-TTL II to Manual Flash. You then get a control to set the flash power manually...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nowt similar on the 550d? have a look in that Flash control section....

Last edited by a moderator:
can like. MENU-flash control-Built-in-flash func setting-flash mode

change it from E-TTL II to Manual Flash. You then get a control to set the flash power manually...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nowt similar on the 550d? have a look in that Flash control section....

550d has the same menu, but Mode can't be changed to Manual, it's stuck in E-TTL II (confirmed with docs too). This is stupid as it's just a forced limitation firmware change and nothing to do with hardware.

I have magic lantern installed, I'll see if that helps. Thanks.

550d has the same menu, but Mode can't be changed to Manual, it's stuck in E-TTL II (confirmed with docs too). This is stupid as it's just a forced limitation firmware change and nothing to do with hardware.

Magic Lantern allows -10 EV, which should be good enough.

that's a bit tight on behalf of Canon that mind. No earthly reason why you shouldn't be able to manually set the flash power.

Hope magiclantern works out

cheers for that, this camera surprises me every day. :cool:

it's a way better camera than I am a photographer :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back