Recreational cricket is back

Recreational Cricket can start next week - but the counties have to wait until 1 August?

f***ing stupid.

I’m not saying it’s an ‘either/ or’ but I think it’s more important that the recreational game gets started, so I’m glad it’s that way around.
Is there time for local leagues to fit half a season in and play everyone once ?

Might need a double weekend or play a week later into sept (if possible)

My understanding is no. I think conference style tournaments are likely in both the Saturday and Sunday systems, with finals at the end.

Last edited:

I’m not saying it’s an ‘either/ or’ but I think it’s more important that the recreational game gets started, so I’m glad it’s that way around.

My understanding is no. I think conference style tournaments are likely in both the Saturday and Sunday systems, with finals at the end.
I assume counties have furloughed players, so won’t be on full wage? Could be tough for many if there is no cricket this season (and furlough ends) and they can’t play abroad in the winter

Is there time for local leagues to fit half a season in and play everyone once ?

Might need a double weekend or play a week later into sept (if possible)

I don’t see why we can’t continue on to the end of September.

I had thought counties might try and play into October, its quite often do we have days in October where the weather and light is decent enough. It’s no more a lottery than playing in early April in my view.

With clubs it’ll be more difficult logistically, especially clubs who rely on the council to maintain their ground for example, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I don’t see why we can’t continue on to the end of September.

I had thought counties might try and play into October, its quite often do we have days in October where the weather and light is decent enough. It’s no more a lottery than playing in early April in my view.

With clubs it’ll be more difficult logistically, especially clubs who rely on the council to maintain their ground for example, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

In normal times I’d say an overlap with football is usually kept to a minimum, but that’s not necessarily true this year. Either at local or national level

In Harrogate/Leeds/Skipton area - the Airedale & Wharfedale Senior League starts on 18th July and finishes on 26th September. Each team playing each other once. 6 divisions of 12 teams - First 1 & 2 are 1st teams and Division 3 is amixture of 1st teams and 2nd teams. Division 4, 5, 6 are second teams mainly with the odd 1st team who have been relegated.

In normal times I’d say an overlap with football is usually kept to a minimum, but that’s not necessarily true this year. Either at local or national level

Yeah, good point, certainly with the professional game it’s unlikely the top leagues will start before September, perhaps League One downwards will start a bit sooner.

In terms of local football though, I can’t see them leagues starting until October at the earliest.

Yeah, good point, certainly with the professional game it’s unlikely the top leagues will start before September, perhaps League One downwards will start a bit sooner.

In terms of local football though, I can’t see them leagues starting until October at the earliest.

Rugby Union would also be a sport that should be worried.

I think Leagues 1 and 2 will start later because of the cost in testing, which was the reason behind them being abandoned in the first place.

If all levels below that start late, say October at the earliest, then any local cricketers who also play football won’t have a choice to make. So that’s a win win for all concerned.

Just need the weather to hold

Back