Recommend me an entry level DSLR camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get one for my lass for Christmas. I suppose the question is what's the least you'd spend on a camera which will do the job of allowing her to learn about photography and won't be absolutely shit?

Or merge this with existing threads on the subject!

Last edited:

I'd like to get one for my lass for Christmas. I suppose the question is what's the least you'd spend on a camera which will do the job of allowing her to learn about photography and won't be absolutely shit?

Or merge this with existing threads on the subject!
If she really wants to learn about photography get her a film camera where she has to work out all the settings herself. Maybe second hand.

Else the Nikon as recommended. Get her to read various Youtube clips as well about the camera, unless she has someone to show her, they will help her get the most out of a Nikon.

If she really wants to learn about photography get her a film camera where she has to work out all the settings herself. Maybe second hand.

Else the Nikon as recommended. Get her to read various Youtube clips as well about the camera, unless she has someone to show her, they will help her get the most out of a Nikon.

This is not good advice IMHO :lol:

Well, he did ask for recommendations on a DSLR.

It's like asking someone for recommendations for a motorbike and being told to get a push bike first.
And you can put it on manual to understand the relationship between ss, aperture, and ISO

And you can put it on manual to understand the relationship between ss, aperture, and ISO

I'd go as far as to recommend the exact opposite i.e. learn on a DSLR then play around with film when you have a better understanding of exposure. That's what I'm doing now with an old Nikon F3.

Well, he did ask for recommendations on a DSLR.

It's like asking someone for recommendations for a motorbike and being told to get a push bike first.
The thread title did, but his first post indicated his lass wanted to learn about photography. But hey it is only a discussion, :) I'd expect the op does want to buy a DSLR anyway, and you can always use the manual settings.

I'm lost.

I know nothing about this photography malarkey and you may as well be speaking Zulu.
Just get her the one I said and that'll be you done for xmas.

That said, she doesn't need a DSLR to take nice pictures if you think the weight and size might stop her from using it. Something like the Fuji X30 would be a brilliant little camera to learn on.

Just get her the one I said and that'll be you done for xmas.

That said, she doesn't need a DSLR to take nice pictures if you think the weight and size might stop her from using it. Something like the Fuji X30 would be a brilliant little camera to learn on.

Just spoke to her Mam to make sure they weren't buying her a camera - they've only had that Nikon 3300 delivered today :lol:

So erm... Accessories?

Just spoke to her Mam to make sure they weren't buying her a camera - they've only had that Nikon 3300 delivered today :lol:

So erm... Accessories?
do you know what type of photography she'll be interested in?

portrait? Maybe a fast prime lens
landscape? Maybe a tripod
macro? Maybe a ummmm macro lens

do you know what type of photography she'll be interested in?

portrait? Maybe a fast prime lens
landscape? Maybe a tripod
macro? Maybe a ummmm macro lens

I want to get her a macro lense for when I inevitably steal this camera and use it.

I would say taking pictures of animals etc' though, like birds.

I want to get her a macro lense for when I inevitably steal this camera and use it.

I would say taking pictures of animals etc' though, like birds.
Think Nikon have a 70-300 f4-5.6 in their range. Don't expect professional results but it'll give you that reach for wildlife on a budget while she dips her toe into it. Photography can be a very expensive gig if she gets into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back