Recommend me a film

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been messing about with Ilford XP2 black and white film but I'm looking for a colour (print) film with loads of saturation to put in my Yashica TLR.

Any suggestions? It needs to be 120 BTW.

I've been messing about with Ilford XP2 black and white film but I'm looking for a colour (print) film with loads of saturation to put in my Yashica TLR.

Any suggestions? It needs to be 120 BTW.

Reala if they still do it. I think 120 may have bitten the dust though :neutral:

Why don't you do slide?

I hadn't considered it TBH, won't I need some machine to look at them?

I don't have a decent scanner so will be getting the processor to put them on CD anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter does it?

The opposite, print film is negs remember

Fewer labs can process E6 (slide) than C41 (print) though. But I believe film is more popular still in the US than in the UK?

Using slide film you want Velvia 50. Not 100, it shouldn't even be called Velvia. Horrible magenta caste

Reala was a lovely film, but slide colours are far more realistic than print will ever be

The opposite, print film is negs remember

Fewer labs can process E6 (slide) than C41 (print) though. But I believe film is more popular still in the US than in the UK?

Using slide film you want Velvia 50. Not 100, it shouldn't even be called Velvia. Horrible magenta caste

Reala was a lovely film, but slide colours are far more realistic than print will ever be

I think I'll give that a go, I use Coopers Imaging for my processing and they'll do E6.

Oh, and I can still get hold of 120 Reala

I think I'll give that a go, I use Coopers Imaging for my processing and they'll do E6.

Oh, and I can still get hold of 120 Reala

Try both, but I think you'll prefer the Velvia. It has less latitude than print film of course

Any recommendations for ISO400 film (all varieties, colour/B&W/slide)?

Mainly for natural light portrait work, handheld, but it's been such a long time since I've used film regularly that I haven't got a clue what's good these days and what's not (in the limited range of stuff that's available these days).

Is Portra 400 any good, or the Fuji 400 equivalent? Or something cheaper?

Any decent slide film with nice but not unpleasant grain?

And any suggestions re B&W (tempted by the C41 process ones as I don't do any processing but never got on with XP2 in the past - probably my fault though).

Edit: 35mm recommendations please, not 120 as per OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back