Recommend a decent little tool shop?

if you want the hammer/ chisel to last 1 job then throw it away, but if you want to build up a tool kit for future jobs go to screwfix and toolstation,in the tool game buy cheap buy twice ( or more ) no need to go up to dewalt / festool level just half decent .

I got a Stabila level in there for £10 less than Toolstation of Screwfix; admittedly, most of my purchases come from the other two or else FFX or Powertool World online.

Shirley someone on here will have what you want and you can borrow it? That should be doable. Don't do the hand-over at the match, you'll get lifted.

If it's daft little things you need in a hurry like a screw in hook or little wooden dowells, it literally can be ten times the price. Obviously they're not selling kitchen worktops and lawn mowers with that kind of markup.
They’re cheaper for building materials plasterboard/cls/plywood etc than the major builders merchants. Wickes even cheaper with a 10% card. Small stuff like you mentioned fair enough, just pinch them.

I knew a lad who worked in there and I'd buy hand tools off him with a 50% discount, he would get a 75% discount when he bought them.

There is no chance any member of staff would be given 75% off , the margins weren’t and still aren’t that high on tools.

He may have used that line as a cover if he was fleecing his employers.

Did you pay in cash and not see a receipt by any chance ?

There is no chance any member of staff would be given 75% off , the margins weren’t and still aren’t that high on tools.

He may have used that line as a cover if he was fleecing his employers.

Did you pay in cash and not see a receipt by any chance ?
Obviously cash. Only on hand tools though, he reckoned they were sold for 4x what they cost so he would sell them to us for half the shop price. If he was thieving them then he must have been good at it, half my class at Wearside College were buying stuff from him.

Back