Realistic options for a new gaffer

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Paul Tisdale at MK Dons? Unfashionable manager that never gets a mention for better jobs but did an unbelievable job at Exeter City on a shoestring budget and when he moved to MK Dons, he had the biggest budget in the league and instantly handled that pressure and got them promotion at the first attempt. He is well famed for his measured and calm approach and the way that he treats the modern footballer. He's a real deep thinker and would suit a big club in League One. He's not far off a Chris Wilder type.

Nothing, then!
We can go through them one by one if you like mate.

Pearson - awful football, not had a club in England for a long time for a reason
SKP - Unproven
Keane - See Pearson
Hughton - No chance he would come
Clough - Did really poor with Burton, has never really done much past L1
Rowett - Has been found out and was really poor with Stoke

Ross is at worst equal with all of the above. He has made us hard to beat and given more time it could improve. Im not saying he is the best manager of all time but I would give him longer than 2 games in a season ffs.
If we aren't in and around the play offs at the end of October then fair enough.

We can go through them one by one if you like mate.

Pearson - awful football, not had a club in England for a long time for a reason
SKP - Unproven
Keane - See Pearson
Hughton - No chance he would come
Clough - Did really poor with Burton, has never really done much past L1
Rowett - Has been found out and was really poor with Stoke

Ross is at worst equal with all of the above. He has made us hard to beat and given more time it could improve. Im not saying he is the best manager of all time but I would give him longer than 2 games in a season ffs.
If we aren't in and around the play offs at the end of October then fair enough.

All the above bar Phillips and perhaps Keane are better qualified to manage in L1 than Ross.
I’m not saying they’d be a good fit for us, but at least they have decent managerial experience at or above our level.
What’s Ross done at this level? Bugger all, and never will, imo.

I can’t believe the number who mention Nigel. They can’t all be clueless!
He’s nivver worked more than an hour from home. Why should he? He’s a millionaires son who became a millionaire off his own bat anarl. He’s not driven by the usual management carrot or stick. He’s seen what that shit did to his dad. Leave him where he is, he’s happy with his lot. Good luck to him.

Spot on

I'm for sticking with Ross, but agree his time is running out if he doesn't produce wins. Robbins has done a great job in the most difficult circumstances imaginable.
Warnock would be perfect, there’s no one better qualified for the job, imo.

Unfortunately, there’s too much against him coming. Apart from financial barriers, and the fact he wouldn’t come to a L1 club, too many fans on here can’t get past his personality.

Phillips would be a huge mistake, imo. We need experience, not an experiment. I’d be mortified if we took a chance on someone unproven.
Warnock wouldn't move and it's a hell of a commute

Last edited:
I think with SD connections he might have the current Oxford manager in his sights but Hartford or Robbins are realistic in our situation. Jack Ross managerial achievements were better than Steven Gerrard's CV when he was appointed but connections and confidence are priceless in this game when you need to succeed at a big fan base you need an edge. It is so cut throat that Gerrard or Lennon may lose their job where 2nd is classed as failure. Dwight Yorke would have learned a lot from Alex Ferguson but there again his recommendation for the Man Utd job was hardly a good choice when he retired. Keane was a success up to a point and Graeme Sounds said that the Newcastle job was the hardest he had where expectations were to high. Peter Reid had us 2nd in the premiership after half a season which was great then but sadly impossible now from where we were then and where we are now.

McCarthy. He’d get us out of this league and is more than capable in the league above. He also has an eye for talent and knows what is required.

Keano and SKP are great but we need to minimise risk. Pearson will want too much money and the board need to think with their head and not heart.

Don’t think it’ll happen at all but he said he’d be open to it and would like to manage us if Ross went. Think people have jumped the gun a bit on this one but you never know.

McCarthy? Please no!

Back