Random memories of the Riverside

No trapdoor stand was a fav of mine. Lovely view
When Ladbrokes had a portacabin for years where the Gym is now :lol:

When you were freely allowed to walk across the field as long as you didnt walk on the pitch. (When was that knocked on the head btw).
I walk on the field post match to have a look. Never been stopped

Last edited:
People brought their own deckchairs to sit behind the sponsor boards there didnt they.
I was one of them. Not as much as the old mcc member who set up a table with a variety of teas, sandwiches and a cake

first game I attended was up Ropery lane, lasses walking around the crowd giving away free fags if you had an empty box to show them

cue mayhem around bins looking for empties

Last edited:
Sunday League games in the days before the gym was built when you'd have a line of blokes leaning over the back of what used to be known as R/S and T stands precariously balancing their pints on the edge and often accidentally knocking them on top of the heads of those sitting in the back row below them. One such bloke was Gilly from Stanley in his early 80s SAFC away shirt offering such advice to David Graveney as 'Haway Davey son! ', 'Good Arrers lad!' and 'Haway Durham stand yer ground!!'

Hecklers Corner (the area in front of where the electronic scoreboard is now situated) giving John Morris grief and him flicking the Vs at them when he reached his ton.

Tony 'Jesus' Day running a book each home game on how many Michael Roseberry would manage to score.

The legendary wooden stand in front of the old scoreboard.

Phil Tufnell fielding at Third Man and asking random spectators on the boundary if they had any spare tabs and then when Fat Gat shouted for him to move him telling his skipper to f**k off.:lol:

Sunday League games in the days before the gym was built when you'd have a line of blokes leaning over the back of what used to be known as R/S and T stands precariously balancing their pints on the edge and often accidentally knocking them on top of the heads of those sitting in the back row below them. One such bloke was Gilly from Stanley in his early 80s SAFC away shirt offering such advice to David Graveney as 'Haway Davey son! ', 'Good Arrers lad!' and 'Haway Durham stand yer ground!!'

Hecklers Corner (the area in front of where the electronic scoreboard is now situated) giving John Morris grief and him flicking the Vs at them when he reached his ton.

Tony 'Jesus' Day running a book each home game on how many Michael Roseberry would manage to score.

The legendary wooden stand in front of the old scoreboard.

Phil Tufnell fielding at Third Man and asking random spectators on the boundary if they had any spare tabs and then when Fat Gat shouted for him to move him telling his skipper to f**k off.:lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

I was one of those although I never spilt my pint. Honest!

Gilly missing his taxi for an away game and legging it to the ground to catch the coach. He made it, sat near the back and promptly threw up.

The members lounge when it was a marquee. The cakes were superb. Much better than the fare on sale now.

Various lost souls from north of the Tyne wondering why there were loads of mackems there.

A random memory I have as a kid is of a touring side visiting the Riverside which attracted a very health crowd. McDonalds had a van behind the main Pavillion serving food. The real McDonalds.

Never seen that before or since.

When you were freely allowed to walk across the field as long as you didnt walk on the pitch. (When was that knocked on the head btw).
Can still do that at the People's Home of Cricket. They just rope off the square and let you walk around the outfield, let kids have games on it etc. Assumed it would be the norm everywhere

To answer the OPs point - sadly never been. But once you lot get yourselves back to where you should be, it's one I'm definitely gonna have a couple of days at

Last edited:
When Ladbrokes had a portacabin for years where the Gym is now :lol:
Not forgetting the media portacabin in the NE corner of the ground. On the rare occasions the sun was out it was reckoned to be hot enough inside to grow tomatoes.🍅
A random memory I have as a kid is of a touring side visiting the Riverside which attracted a very health crowd. McDonalds had a van behind the main Pavillion serving food. The real McDonalds.

Never seen that before or since.
Would that be when we played the Windies in 1995? There was a big crowd at that one to see Lara and the boys.

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned him on another thread but a very angry confrontational over zealous head steward (would have either been ex school headmaster or Armed forces imo) who would patrol the pavillion dishing out rollickings for anything and everything.

Back