Rag 'n Bone Man - Roker/Fulwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Fleming

Striker
No the tubby warbler is not doing a turn in The Cliff.

But working at home I can hear the cry of what sounds to be a rag and bone man. Anyone confirm this? Is it a regular thing and not just some drunk?

Not heard one for 20 years I reckon.

But working at home I can hear the cry of what sounds to be a rag and bone man. Anyone confirm this? Is it a regular thing and not just some drunk?

My uncle Jacky used to be a rag and bone man in Roker years ago.

One comes round here playing the theme tune from Steptoe and Son :lol:

I heard him anarl...you mustn't be far from me Robert

I heard him anarl...you mustn't be far from me Robert
Indeed marrow.

He came down me back lane. No cart or owt. Just a fella wandering around a'hollerin'. Assume he must have a van full of scrap bounty around the corner.

There's one goes around Seaburn shouting what sounds like "any wee hens" ? The bairn is terrified of him.
Same bloke then. I was trying to make it seem like he was shouting any old iron but it just didn't. He is a hen collector.

Indeed marrow.

He came down me back lane. No cart or owt. Just a fella wandering around a'hollerin'. Assume he must have a van full of scrap bounty around the corner.

Same bloke then. I was trying to make it seem like he was shouting any old iron but it just didn't. He is a hen collector.

Could be Hauser's Helmet. He now has a set of hens

Indeed marrow.

It's "Bring out your dead!", mate.

"ANYRAGS'N'WOOLERRRNNNS!!!"

Childhood memories of being off school are hearing the rag n bone man and that frankly terrifying gutter sweeping machine. I was petrified of that.

One comes round shouting something that is completely indecipherable. Once you realise it's the rag and bone man, and not a drunk, he's long gone.

This time of year it could be the mating call of the Mag Erectus. This is a rather drably coloured bird that makes wild and extravagant claims about its own prowess in the hope of attracting a mate. Few of the female of the species are actually gullible enough to fall for this so the male Mag Erectus often wanders far from his home territory wailing his call in an an effort to attract anyone or anything's attention. The Mag Erectus should never be approached for the sake of one's own sanity it is simply best left alone until it goes the back to its own nesting area where they gather in great numbers.
Either that or it was the phantom of Mr Maw the green grocer with his ghostly horse and cart who was famous for his unintelligible call as he sold fruit and veg around the streets of Sunderland..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back