Quick MS word question...

As of today I'm back in employment in an office type role..

I've got a document I've been sent from a pdf converted to word and it's screwed some formatting

Each time I try and highlight a section of a paragraph to do a cut and paste it puts a box around and won't let me copy the paragraph

It's pissing me off.. I think I need to disable formatting.. help

Didn't know you can change a pdf into a word document? Just vice versa?
Word can open PDFs, it just does its best to convert everything to an editable format.

OP, sounds like the text in your doc has been recognised as an image rather than text so unfortunately you'll either have to get the original pdf and convert it properly with another program or type it out again I'm afraid.

This can happen if the PDF is a picture rather than a document.
If the text is in part a scanned document, the parts that are graphics obviously won't convert.

It's too easy to dump the paper document into a scanner to create a PDF rather than "Save to" or "Print to" PDF. Then you have to explain slowly and clearly to the person who did the scan why you can't convert back to Word / Text.

In one or two cases it was a waste of time explaining and I've been in a couple of situations where some moderately-sized documents have had to be retyped.

Last edited:

Back