Quick banking question

You can have many cash ISA's, as long as you don't contribute to more than one per tax year. So if you put a quid in one with Lloyds but also have others running still from previous tax years, then you can't add more money to the rest. You can however open a stocks and shares ISA in the same tax year and add to that (as long as your 20k hasn't been used up between the two, so 10k in cash isa and 10k in s&s isa for example).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies people, was a bit confused. So it’s a 20k limit regardless of how many isa’s you have. Cheers.

If you have a few ISAs from previous years then it can be worth merging them. The £20k doesn't apply to transfers, just new money and old accounts often have terrible interest rates.

If you have a few ISAs from previous years then it can be worth merging them. The £20k doesn't apply to transfers, just new money and old accounts often have terrible interest rates.
Only have two mate, one is a fixed Isa for 2 years. It has 20k in it, I’ve another with a couple of pound ( had it ages) that I was going to use to squirrel a few quid away for emergencies if I needed it. Was a bit worried about putting money in it incase I was doing anything wrong.

Only just started doing my own banking after a divorce so just wanted to be sure.

It's worth also pointing out that from April you can have & subscribe to as many ISA's as you want as long as you don't go over the annual £20k limit.
Only have two mate, one is a fixed Isa for 2 years. It has 20k in it, I’ve another with a couple of pound ( had it ages) that I was going to use to squirrel a few quid away for emergencies if I needed it. Was a bit worried about putting money in it incase I was doing anything wrong.

Only just started doing my own banking after a divorce so just wanted to be sure.

Are they with same or different banks? As quite often if with same bank you can have a mixture of fixes & easy access as they're grouped together under the same umbrella

Last edited:
It's worth also pointing out that from April you can have & subscribe to as many ISA's as you want as long as you don't go over the annual £20k limit.

Are they with same or different banks? As quite often if with same bank you can have a mixture of fixes & easy access as they're grouped together under the same umbrella
Same bank mate.

Back