Queen Of Denmark Margrethe II Announces Abdication

An Aussie will become head of state of a European country before an Aussie will be the head of state of Australia

How do you and most Danes feel are you bothered?

Most of our royal family is very well liked. A recent European poll had them as Europe's most loved royals, with our Queen being top. Her son, our next King as second most loved. Am not a massive royalist but I do like her a lot. Her son and his Australian missus as well and I must admit I got a bit emotional watching her New Year's speech last night. Reading my morning paper today that feeling returned. How she managed to keep it a secret till her live telly speech beats me but it's great that she pulled it off. I think most Danes reckon she has done herself and all of us proud throughout the decades and that she will be missed. But also that now is probably the right time, too. Am sure she leaves the top spot in perfect hands.

Most of our royal family is very well liked. A recent European poll had them as Europe's most loved royals, with our Queen being top. Her son, our next King as second most loved. Am not a massive royalist but I do like her a lot. Her son and his Australian missus as well and I must admit I got a bit emotional watching her New Year's speech last night. Reading my morning paper today that feeling returned. How she managed to keep it a secret till her live telly speech beats me but it's great that she pulled it off. I think most Danes reckon she has done herself and all of us proud throughout the decades and that she will be missed. But also that now is probably the right time, too. Am sure she leaves the top spot in perfect hands.

She’s done well to get only a two week notice period. I’d have thought that position is at least three or six months.

I meant to reply to confirm that it is the longest continuous line of succession in the world
The House of Oldenburg dynasty rose to prominence when Count Christian I of Oldenburg was elected as King of Denmark in 1448, of Norway in 1450 and of Sweden in 1457. The house has occupied the Danish throne ever since.

As a comparison, since 1448 England, then Great Britain has been ruled by the Houses of Plantagenet, Tudor, Stuart, Civil War, Stuart, Orange, Hanover, Saxe-Coberg and Gotha, Windsor.

The House of Oldenburg dynasty rose to prominence when Count Christian I of Oldenburg was elected as King of Denmark in 1448, of Norway in 1450 and of Sweden in 1457. The house has occupied the Danish throne ever since.

As a comparison, since 1448 England, then Great Britain has been ruled by the Houses of Plantagenet, Tudor, Stuart, Civil War, Stuart, Orange, Hanover, Saxe-Coberg and Gotha, Windsor.

Edit: Sorry, thought you disagreed with him.

Last edited:

Back