'Quality' point and shoot recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Striker
Our lass has registered an interest in a high quality point and shoot for her birthday. She wants to take great shots, but can't be arsed to learn to use, nor lug around, a DSLR. I bought her a 10D 'to learn on' three years ago and it ended up being used as a backup camera by yours truly.

The Sony NEX5 has caught my eye as it appears to be well regarded and has interchangeable lenses:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NEX5KB...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334764485&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience of this, or other recommendations?

A few people are clubbing in so we have a reasonable budget, £500 give or take a few shillings.

PS just realise this SEB thread: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=692842 :lol:

Would still be interested in views of the Sony NEX like.

If interchangeable lenses aren't a must, I'd personally recommend the Canon S95, or the S100, its successor. I don't think there's many better compromises between pocketability and quality.

The Panasonic Lumix LX5 is also excellent - Leica lens on that, lovely to use. Slightly bigger than then S95/100 though. The Fuji X10 looks the absolute business too.

Personally, I don't see the benefit of the likes of the NEX5 versus a small, light entry-level DSLR, though their owners swear by them.

Cheers all. The Lumix looks interesting, I am a huge fan of Leica glass.

Which bit makes it incredible?

And dumb bird question probably, but what is the difference between a point and shoot and a compact?

Not sure, perhaps my title should have been 'quality compact recommendation'. I am after something that will deliver DSLR quality images in a compact package and doesn't require excessive technical savvy. I have been impressed with the results you have got with your compact btw.

Not sure, perhaps my title should have been 'quality compact recommendation'. I am after something that will deliver DSLR quality images in a compact package and doesn't require excessive technical savvy. I have been impressed with the results you have got with your compact btw.

Looks like the g12 is the fans favourite. I've found it for £295.
The lumix also looks nice though. Bit more aesthetically pleasing

Thank you smoker. It is a borrowed camera. I think it has been good, but I think it isn't very good when it has to zoom. I was definitely going to buy a DSLR this year, but life alters plans sometimes and the digital slr is going on hold awhile as I am going backpacking all being well later this year and so I am thinking of buying the canon S100 (for portability purposes).

There's a boat load of them out now Olympus E, Pentax K01 and Q (which is tiny), Sony NEX, Nikon, Samsung and Panasonic all do them. The Sony NEX is nice but for me a little small and unbalanced due to the body size, photo quality is excellent though. The Olympus ones look nice and are cheap (well out here they are). The Pentax K01 is supposed to have the same sensor and K05 SLR and used K mount lenses so you can put anything in - but the downside for me is it doesn't have a viewfinder, it is also an acquired taste from a looks point of view quite minimalist plus it isn't that small. The Pentax Q is odd and tiny it is the digital camera version of the Pentax 110 I reckon. The Panasonic, Samsung and Nikon look nice but know nothing more than that.

Considering the Lumix GX1 with the 14-42 powerzoom. With addition of £20 adaptors from fleabay, she could use my Leica R and Canon lenses manual. Any thoughts on this camera? The reviews look good.

Considering the Lumix GX1 with the 14-42 powerzoom. With addition of £20 adaptors from fleabay, she could use my Leica R and Canon lenses manual. Any thoughts on this camera? The reviews look good.
??

Bit more expensive and not so compact on a quick look.

smoker;12388402 The Sony NEX5 has caught my eye as it appears to be well regarded and has interchangeable lenses: [url said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NEX5KB-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B003OUX6TA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334764485&sr=1-1[/url]

Does anyone have any experience of this, or other recommendations?
Doesn't have a digital zoom - 3 camera comparison for you

I researched loads before I spent good money on my compact. Live spav said, the canon s100 and G12 are brilliant. As is the pana LX5.

Depends what you want it for to be honest. I tinkered with the Olympics EP-L2 and such like but like the Sony NEX5 once you stick a lens on they're no longer pocketable. I opted for the (then) G11 and S95. Pretty much the same camera but both pocketable with amazing results. Very wife friendly.

Thanks all.

OK, I think I have narrowed it down to the Canon G12, Lumix LX5 (fixed lens cameras) or Lumix GX1 (interchangeable lens).

I like the idea of an interchangeable lens camera as it would give her the option to use some of my Canon and Leica lenses, with an adaptor, and I could buy more Micro 4/3rds fitting lenses for future presents. The dilemma is whether she would make use of this extra functionality, bearing in mind she couldn't be arsed to learn how to use the DSLR I bought her, and hence whether it would justify the extra outlay: the G12 is £360, LX5 is £330 and GX1 with 14-42 kit lens is £630).

I would have fun attaching the GX1 to a telescope with a T-adaptor, but I'm trying to purge that consideration from my mind. :lol:

??

Bit more expensive and not so compact on a quick look.

Doesn't have a digital zoom - 3 camera comparison for you

What is the point of digital zoom anyway?

Thanks all.

OK, I think I have narrowed it down to the Canon G12, Lumix LX5 (fixed lens cameras) or Lumix GX1 (interchangeable lens).

I like the idea of an interchangeable lens camera as it would give her the option to use some of my Canon and Leica lenses, with an adaptor, and I could buy more Micro 4/3rds fitting lenses for future presents. The dilemma is whether she would make use of this extra functionality, bearing in mind she couldn't be arsed to learn how to use the DSLR I bought her, and hence whether it would justify the extra outlay: the G12 is £360, LX5 is £330 and GX1 with 14-42 kit lens is £630).

I would have fun attaching the GX1 to a telescope with a T-adaptor, but I'm trying to purge that consideration from my mind. :lol
:

What do you attach to your scopes at the moment?

fwiw, I'd go for the LX5 off that list.

The G12 is a bit too chunky (immense camera all the same - though I'd get the S100 over it) and the GX1 is neither truly a DSLR or a compact imo.

The LX5 is a proper point-and-shoot for parties and the like, but with enough in terms of customisability to build on.

My wife finds the S95 (similar proposition) as easy to use as any simple camera we've had before, but it has enough bells and whistles to keep me entertained too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back