PVR for older people, replacing youview

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
My parents youview box died the other day, and they're after something to replace it with.
They've got a dish and a good aerial. But don't want to pay a subscription.

Is another youview box the way to go?

Can't be anything that needs knowhow, such as kodi. They have a fire stick and prime sub, but they want to be able to pause and rewind live tv.

Speaking of which, they need a new tv too, as theirs is on its way out

My parents youview box died the other day, and they're after something to replace it with.

Can't be anything that needs knowhow, such as kodi. They have a fire stick and prime sub, but they want to be able to pause and rewind live tv.

What do they watch mate? Cheapest is obviously youview, but maybe try get them a cheap sky package?

I got rid of paying for tv and bought a humax freesat box instead. It is very easy to use connects to your network and has various apps for netflix and catch up. Not to mention pause, rewind and a twin tuner. I don't think I'll ever have virgin or sky tv again. I do have Netflix though my new tv remote has a netflix button and I like watching old star trek and other tv shows.

I would check which channnels they actually watch before making any decisions. I have just dumped dad’s sky as he barely watches tv any more.

Another vote for human freesat box

TV with PVR built in (may have to add a usb stick in the back)

OR

New TV with Humax T2 PVR

Wouldn't that mean leaving the TV switched on if you wanted to record something, and not being able to record and watch different things at the same time? Or are they cleverer than that these days.

Wouldn't that mean leaving the TV switched on if you wanted to record something, and not being able to record and watch different things at the same time? Or are they cleverer than that these days.

I think and manufacturer that made a tv that stopped recording when the screen went off, would get laughed at.

This explains it better, but really, a separate box will always be better.

https://www.avforums.com/article/sm...der-freeview-freesat-features-explained.10724

I would check which channnels they actually watch before making any decisions. I have just dumped dad’s sky as he barely watches tv any more.
Just general fta channels. They ditched sky years ago

IPTV on their firestick? Easy to use.
It's it 100% reliable, needs no maintenance, and as good as youview?

I got rid of paying for tv and bought a humax freesat box instead. It is very easy to use connects to your network and has various apps for netflix and catch up. Not to mention pause, rewind and a twin tuner. I don't think I'll ever have virgin or sky tv again. I do have Netflix though my new tv remote has a netflix button and I like watching old star trek and other tv shows.
Does it have a epg worth series record?
How much to buy?

Buffers slightly sometimes depending on internet connection. For £50 a year I’m over the moon with it , all sports and film channels as well as PPV. A good list of on demand movies as well.

Plus you have the functionality of a firestick (BBC iplayer etc).

Installing Kodi with covenant on the new interface is dead simple to use as well. With a half hour tutorial I’m sure they’d be flying.

I think and manufacturer that made a tv that stopped recording when the screen went off, would get laughed at.

This explains it better, but really, a separate box will always be better.

https://www.avforums.com/article/sm...der-freeview-freesat-features-explained.10724

You might think that they're sensible, but my last 3 TVs (including the ones I bought 12 months ago) don't even forward sound (HDMI->SP/DIF) if they're switched off. Which means I have to have the TV powered up if I'm listening to music or radio on my Android TV box. I might as well set fire to the rain forests and bugger some squirrels.

Buffers slightly sometimes depending on internet connection. For £50 a year I’m over the moon with it , all sports and film channels as well as PPV. A good list of on demand movies as well.

Installing Kodi with covenant on the new interface is dead simple to use as well. With a half hour tutorial I’m sure they’d be flying.
Nah, they want live proper telly.

I use kodi adons so I know what is like, and I know they'd hate it for day to day "having the telly on" . Totally different if you want to watch a particular program or film though.

Nah, they want live proper telly.

I use kodi adons so I know what is like, and I know they'd hate it for day to day "having the telly on" . Totally different if you want to watch a particular program or film though.

IPTV is completely different to kodi mate. It is ‘live tele’ just through net rather than aerial

IPTV is completely different to kodi mate. It is ‘live tele’ just through net rather than aerial
Does it have an epg like sky or youview, and can you record, and see everything you've "taped"?
Can you set a series record away, and watch other things and still be able to pause, rewind etc

How often does it need updating?

Who dee they get their line and BB with, as BT, plus.net and TT all offer their you view box as part of their TV package, so if you can negotiate a deal where they are paying no more then jobs a good un.

Just general fta channels. They ditched sky years ago

Does it have a epg worth series record?
How much to buy?
When you press record it asks if you want to record single episode or series. The epg is the best I've used on any TV or box. It's instant and gives the stations logo instead of just the name.
I've got 2 humax boxes the newest has a 1t harddrive but the 500 gig is big enough for most people especially if they're elderly and have more time to watch.
Look on eBay for best prices but Argos sell them Currys as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-HDR...50779179&hash=item1c7c576e5b:g:jiMAAOSwnipWUJ

Reactions: PTR

what iptv you using mate? pm if needed please

This. Getting this right can unfortunately be more complicated than it should be.

I've had many discussions with people about the differences between Netflix, TiVo, Cable, Sky, Satellite, Broadband, iPlayer, Freesat. Freeview, NowTV, YouView etc etc and what those platforms offer. It always ends up with them being confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back