Push/Pull/Legs Training Split

SAFC CLUD

Central Defender
Get to the gym 4 times a week and train Chest and Tri, Back and Bi, Shoulders and Arms and legs, however this leaves me doing bench press/shoulder press/ deadlifts only once a week.

With the Push Pull Legs Split, is this a way of getting the compound lifts in more regularly?

Cheers

I only started again recently. 3 times a week. Used to do 5x5 but started a push/pull/legs split.

I'm 2 months in and the beginner workout I've been doing is now getting easier so have started adding things in like squats on every workout because that's what I used to do every time with 5x5 anyway.

Maybe try 5x5 and then build other lifts around that? I'm no expert like, some on here will answer better

Few options if set on that sort of split:

Legs/Push/Pull/Full Body

Legs - Reduce hip extension volume from normal 'leg routine'
Push - Self explanatory, reduce volume between the chest and shoulder sessions and combine together
Pull - Add hip extension volume taken from leg day to pull day
Full Body - Squat/Press/Pull in one session

Or alternatively, drop the full body session and just run your microcycle so that you're hitting each session once every 5 days or so rather than every 7 days... in other words, you don't do each session on the same day each week, rather look at rest taken between sessions. For example:

Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - Push
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Pull
Day 5 - Rest
Day 6 - Legs
Day 7 - Push
Day 8 - Rest
Day 9 - Pull
Day 10 - Rest

I would mention that these push/pull/legs and typical back/bicep type splits are generally designed or used by those who require quite a bit of volume.

Few options if set on that sort of split:

Legs/Push/Pull/Full Body

Legs - Reduce hip extension volume from normal 'leg routine'
Push - Self explanatory, reduce volume between the chest and shoulder sessions and combine together
Pull - Add hip extension volume taken from leg day to pull day
Full Body - Squat/Press/Pull in one session

Or alternatively, drop the full body session and just run your microcycle so that you're hitting each session once every 5 days or so rather than every 7 days... in other words, you don't do each session on the same day each week, rather look at rest taken between sessions. For example:

Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - Push
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Pull
Day 5 - Rest
Day 6 - Legs
Day 7 - Push
Day 8 - Rest
Day 9 - Pull
Day 10 - Rest

I would mention that these push/pull/legs and typical back/bicep type splits are generally designed or used by those who require quite a bit of volume.
Cheers mate that's class, what do you mean by those who require a bit of volume?

Also should I be looking to do bench press/deadlifting etc twice a week or am I just over ambitious with what I see online from influencers etc actually in the industry?

Cheers mate that's class, what do you mean by those who require a bit of volume?

Also should I be looking to do bench press/deadlifting etc twice a week or am I just over ambitious with what I see online from influencers etc actually in the industry?

The more advanced you are, the more volume you will need in order to keep progressing. Certain routines will be put together with those people in mind and if you run them before you reach that level of training experience, you'll cap your results as they're designed for people who are expecting slow results due to where they are at in their training life.

Routines like what you're currently doing are more aimed toward guys on a load of gear. Muscle protein synthesis has returned to baseline well before you next hit the muscle again. The gear these guys use keep MPS elevated for longer so they will smash a load of volume in one session and still have MPS elevated days beyond what the natural guy will have. PPL routine will be better, but can still be very volume heavy.

Regarding the bolded, yes mate. Once per week bench/squats etc you're leaving so much development in the gym. Get in there and do the movements that give the best 'value for money' fairly often. Your results will likely massively improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more advanced you are, the more volume you will need in order to keep progressing. Certain routines will be put together with those people in mind and if you run them before you reach that level of training experience, you'll cap your results as they're designed for people who are expecting slow results due to where they are at in their training life.

Routines like what you're currently doing are more aimed toward guys on a load of gear. Muscle protein synthesis has returned to baseline well before you next hit the muscle again. The gear these guys use keep MPS elevated for longer so they will smash a load of volume in one session and still have MPS elevated days beyond what the natural guy will have. PPL routine will be better, but can still be very volume heavy.

Regarding the bolded, yes mate. Once per week bench/squats etc you're leaving so much development in the gym. Get in there and do the movements that give the best 'value for money' fairly often. Your results will likely massively improve.
Thanks very much mate, really helpful

Back