Punch bag in garage advice

Wild Card

Winger
Been at a loose end since my gym closed during the pandemic and has not reopened. So I want to add a punch bag to the garage using a joist to take the weight.

One thought to spread the weight was wo add a say 2by2 plank across all joists and fix the bag to the additional plank, would that work?

Would a proper purpose build wood hanger take the strain?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm getting fat as owt at the minute, shirt buttons are starting to pop and I refuse to spread into the next size up.

any thoughts?

Been at a loose end since my gym closed during the pandemic and has not reopened. So I want to add a punch bag to the garage using a joist to take the weight.

One thought to spread the weight was wo add a say 2by2 plank across all joists and fix the bag to the additional plank, would that work?

Would a proper purpose build wood hanger take the strain?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm getting fat as owt at the minute, shirt buttons are starting to pop and I refuse to spread into the next size up.

any thoughts?
Eye go back to the gym as it’s a total waste of time gyms in the house.People i I know who go down this route are fat ***** for eternity and have no intentions of really doing owt about it.

Depends on the weight of your bag.
2x2 isn't all that thick, could you not double that?, or alternatively, have a look at the joists and they will be rectangular with the thick part perpendicular to the floor/ceiling, if you could get a bit of timber the same size and go across the top of the joists it would do the job no problem, just get some right angle brackets to fix your spreader to the joists.
It's effectively a single point load and you could fart on doing the relative calcs etc but for what you're doing you wouldn't need to go that deep.

Back