Pugs - Absolutely knackered

Keawyeds

Striker
Appreciate there are some pug lovers on here (beyond me, but that's life), but unfortunately this news has been the case for years.
Pugs are fooked (no, not in the showering with the dog sense), and shock horror, people are to blame.

This was today's news - on BBC as well but here's an article.

It's not even new news either - This is from 2016
Vets warn people against buying 'flat-faced' dogs

They're now so badly bred, they're basically born fooked.

“Vet teams see pugs with these distressing health problems – from breathing difficulties to eye ulcers and painful spine abnormalities – in veterinary practices across the UK on a daily basis. This study clearly demonstrates how it is the extreme characteristics many owners find so appealing, such as squashed faces, big eyes and curly tails, which are seriously compromising pugs’ health and welfare and often result in a lifetime of suffering.

“While these extreme, unhealthy characteristics remain, we will continue to strongly recommend potential owners do not buy brachycephalic breeds such as pugs.”

So, there you have it. Stop buying/breeding pugs. They've suffered enough.

I feel sorry for them whenever I see them. They have lovely temperaments by and large but they’re barely able to breathe most of the time.

There’s a few round mine and they have absolutely shite temperaments. Constantly snarl and bark at my dog.

It’s people with small breeds in general actually. Tend to let them get away with all sorts because they’re small and unlikely to do anyone any harm.

I’ve got a pug like, our lass had him before we got together
I wouldn’t get another one (or any dog actually) and I wouldn’t dream of breeding him.
The only issue we have with his health is his minging teeth and bad breath, he needs pretty regular cleaning at the vets and won’t let us do it
Touch wood he has had no major health issues needing vet treatment at all in 5 years but he can’t cope exercising in the heat (owt above 12/13c) cause of the breathing issue and his temperament is not great.
He’s unpredictable when off the lead and reactive to everything (so doesn’t get off any more), he is anxious and needy as well. He demands your attention round the clock which is a pain in the arse and he’s hard to train cause he’s not bothered about treats. He is very high energy and needs playing with constantly, he chases a laser pen round the house and the garden pretty much til he collapses
He is in decent shape for a pug but gets a strict diet and walks at least an hour a day, his brother who her mate has got is a right little chunk though and is always at the vets for eye problems, stomach problems, hip problems etc

"To have" is a disease that is more far reaching than screwing with helpless animals genetics. Maybe an MP can grow a pair and make this breeding abomination illegal.

Nb: I have two Kelpies, never seen a vet...'kin bomb proof.
ps. Goats don't have issues, plus they look a bit like dogs :D

Last edited:
Just a bit off topic but saw someone with a Akita the other day and thought fuck owning that.

The Japanese fighting dog would own you. It didn't have a care in the world.

Back