Pubs better off???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The little bars, that don't do bait, and are currently acting as shops actually think so. Couple of owners today said Tier 2 would mean people going to pubs (and having a bite to eat) rather than buying from their shop. But they're actually busy now in Tier 3 with people getting loads of cans in.
Daft question, but if you receive a grant when closed , why would a pub go under ? On the condition that the grant covers basic overheads for a closed pub

Also, in the tier 2 pubs, how does it work with regards to drinking 'with a meal' I mean do places just reserve your table for 2 hours or something ? If there's no one in after you, could you just drag the meal out for 4 hours ? Seems ambiguous

Do as the foreigners do, snacking away all neet, chatting and supping.
The pubs I went to in Sunderland were definitely not empty under the previous restrictions, it was just like normal. However, under these new restrictions, local boozers are completely fucked. Your average local boozer that doesn't sell food is highly unlikely to open again until Easter at the very earliest, not sure many landlords can take that hit.

They could take the hit any other time, but plenty make 20-25% of their annual income in December.

Last edited:
Good thinking. Don't mind a good grazing session these days like.

I imagine they might have minimum spends on bait per person, say £10 each. Average 'meal' say 2 hours, so your looking at £5 an hour just to sit in a boozer.

Suppose it depends how busy they are. If they are empty then I guess there is no reason to clear your table

I imagine they might have minimum spends on bait per person, say £10 each. Average 'meal' say 2 hours, so your looking at £5 an hour just to sit in a boozer.

Suppose it depends how busy they are. If they are empty then I guess there is no reason to clear your table

Easy enough to have a portion of chips to land again with your next round. Truth be told, pubs will be happy if people are in and supping so won't be sprinting to clear up.

If possible we just get sharing boards to work through with a few beers and repeat across the day in different pubs.

My mate owns a boozer in a Tier 2 that sells food and he's staying shut. He gets £3k a month for the business plus 80% of his wages guaranteed. Trying to make a living with social distancing rules and the "have-a-meal-and-a-drink-then-piss off" would have been impossible.

Tier 2 is just Tier 3 by another name tbh. We'll probably be keeping the club closed until the government pulls the plug on the furlough scheme. The earliest we were expecting to open was February anyway.
isn't it only max £3k for the month?

There's no business rates to pay either atm.

Last edited:

Do as you wish but behaviour like this to work round the rules so you can go on the lash makes you a hypocrite if you criticise the government now or in the future.

Do as you wish but behaviour like this to work round the rules so you can go on the lash makes you a hypocrite if you criticise the government now or in the future.

I can criticise them all I want where it's applicable. All I'm interested in is can I go with my dad for a few pints and a meal without getting sent home after 2 hours, as it's not worth it. Sitting at the same table for 3 or 4 hours instead, doing the same thing, would make a difference to us that's all. I don't want to settle down for a bit of crack and get refused a pint after an hour

I can criticise them all I want where it's applicable. All I'm interested in is can I go with my dad for a few pints and a meal without getting sent home after 2 hours, as it's not worth it. Sitting at the same table for 3 or 4 hours instead, doing the same thing, would make a difference to us that's all. I don't want to settle down for a bit of crack and get refused a pint after an hour

you can go for a few pints and a meal.

You said you were looking at going to three different places, for two hours each, and ordering the cheapest possible food to facilitate 6 hours on the drink.

It’s staggeringly selfish asbo like behaviour.

As I said, do it if you want but you are hypocrite if you are then on here criticising government with lefty for the many not the few mantra.

Daft question, but if you receive a grant when closed , why would a pub go under ? On the condition that the grant covers basic overheads for a closed pub

Also, in the tier 2 pubs, how does it work with regards to drinking 'with a meal' I mean do places just reserve your table for 2 hours or something ? If there's no one in after you, could you just drag the meal out for 4 hours ? Seems ambiguous
That’s the problem tho, the grants don’t cover all overheads.
Do as the foreigners do, snacking away all neet, chatting and supping.
Unfortunately the rules are designed to stop people doing that.

The threat of being closed down will be a pretty big reason for responsible pubs.
isn't it only max £3k for the month?
And the smaller you are the lower the grant. Ours is £1300 a month, doesn’t cover our outgoings.

Last edited:
you can go for a few pints and a meal.

You said you were looking at going to three different places, for two hours each, and ordering the cheapest possible food to facilitate 6 hours on the drink.

It’s staggeringly selfish asbo like behaviour.

As I said, do it if you want but you are hypocrite if you are then on here criticising government with lefty for the many not the few mantra.

I was taking it to an extreme to highlight the point that was in query . Jesus . I've been working the entire time and barely seeing loved ones and I'm wondering out loud how I could spend some legal, safe time with me fatha.

You are looking for an argument that isn't there.

In tier 3.
Well. They looked like they were struggling to me under tier 2 restrictions. People only allowed in on their Jack, or with someone from their own household was restricting them mainly couples only. The places were virtually empty, with staff claiming wages that wasnt coming through the tills.
Tier 1 or nowt for me
Yer right there mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back