Ps5 and sky internet

sons juts got a ps5 in his bedroom and it’s lagging and won’t stream games off plasytion plus it’s saying internet is too unstable can anyone help it’s the fastest sky broadband you can get and have two sky boosters upstairs.

sons juts got a ps5 in his bedroom and it’s lagging and won’t stream games off plasytion plus it’s saying internet is too unstable can anyone help it’s the fastest sky broadband you can get and have two sky boosters upstairs.
get a wifi analyzer app on your mobile and see how strong the signal is in the room where his playstation is, make sure your phone is connected to the wifi and not mobile data when you use it, also worth doing a speed test.

Also cant see why you would need new wires if you changed provider they tend to use the same standard connections.
I use a app called wifi man

Logon or register to see this image

ideally it should be in the green for wifi strength
also when you say its the fastest you can get do you know what the speed is ? streaming games is pretty demanding tbh and needs a pretty hefty connection

Last edited:
get a wifi analyzer app on your mobile and see how strong the signal is in the room where his playstation is, make sure your phone is connected to the wifi and not mobile data when you use it, also worth doing a speed test.

Also cant see why you would need new wires if you changed provider they tend to use the same standard connections.

also when you say its the fastest you can get do you know what the speed is ? streaming games is pretty demanding tbh and needs a pretty hefty connection
Cheers mate ah right so do they not need to connect from somwhere outside and run new wires in ?

69mbps download 27.4 upload is a booster in his room so signals full

Last edited:
Cheers mate ah right so do they not need to connect from somwhere outside and run new wires in ?

69mbps download 27.4 upload is a booster in his room so signals full

I might have been a bit pre emptive there saying it shouldnt mattter tbh because it is pretty situational.

Your with sky now so your internet comes through open reach, the router normally connects to the telephone socket using a RJ11 connector.

I was the same but I recently switched to fibre through city fibre, they had to install a new box on the wall and that connectes to the router via a ethernet cable. But again it depends what is available in your area and what your options are.

Depends if your TV needs to be plugged into the router or if things can be connected via wifi.

I had a look at the play station streaming requirments and it looks like you can change the resolution

I think 1440 and 2160 would struggle with that connection. Could probbly manage 1080p but I know from my exerpeince trying to stream xbox games and the nvidia streaming it is pretty hit and miss. When I tried I had about half that connection speed and I was struggling with 720
Get him to do a speed test on his playstation looking on the sky forums it seems like playstations can be a bit janky with wifi speed

the other thing you could try is move the playstation to the room where the router is and test streaming a game with the ethernet plugged in, then you can rule out the wifi

Last edited:
Can you get some of those Ethernet extenders that plug into the mains loop? Me and my mates have always found our PS5s run much better from an Ethernet connection rather than relying on wifi. Even my mate who’s just had the gigabit grain internet fitted often stops mid game to plug his Ethernet in as the wifi is lagging.

Can you get some of those Ethernet extenders that plug into the mains loop? Me and my mates have always found our PS5s run much better from an Ethernet connection rather than relying on wifi. Even my mate who’s just had the gigabit grain internet fitted often stops mid game to plug his Ethernet in as the wifi is lagging.
Gonna try them after Wi-Fi experts been from sky
I might have been a bit pre emptive there saying it shouldnt mattter tbh because it is pretty situational.

Your with sky now so your internet comes through open reach, the router normally connects to the telephone socket using a RJ11 connector.

I was the same but I recently switched to fibre through city fibre, they had to install a new box on the wall and that connectes to the router via a ethernet cable. But again it depends what is available in your area and what your options are.

Depends if your TV needs to be plugged into the router or if things can be connected via wifi.

I had a look at the play station streaming requirments and it looks like you can change the resolution

I think 1440 and 2160 would struggle with that connection. Could probbly manage 1080p but I know from my exerpeince trying to stream xbox games and the nvidia streaming it is pretty hit and miss. When I tried I had about half that connection speed and I was struggling with 720
Get him to do a speed test on his playstation looking on the sky forums it seems like playstations can be a bit janky with wifi speed

the other thing you could try is move the playstation to the room where the router is and test streaming a game with the ethernet plugged in, then you can rule out the wifi
Cheers mate will see what this sky geezer says

would strongly recommend the effort of running Ethernet, just tested a 15m run against the WiFi mesh I’m using. Ping has gone from 21 to 12, download speeds both 930mb. I knew the download speeds would be similar but pleased to see the ping improve so much.

Check your fuse box. If you have switches for both upstairs and downstairs plug sockets then it’s a different system.
🤦‍♂️ it’s a big old house like so turn the fuse switch off that turns the router off and then check if the upstairs socket has still got power that the adapter is going into

Back