Promising young woman

It's absolutely atrocious. The plot is ridiculous, the characters are totally inconsistent and the message is very confused... and it looks like it was made for 12 quid.
The film industry is fucked beyond hope if this is considered Oscar material.

I thought her performance was excellent and that carried the film because basically it was a poorly written script. The dialogue in the first scene was appallingly bad. The exposition from some of the characters, especially Alfred Molina's, was awful.

The director seems to have had a massive leg up from her mate Phoebe Waller Bridge. I'd liken it to the second series of Killing Eve which she also wrote. It lacked all of the charm and nuance that Waller Bridge put into the first series.
Take Mulligan out and it is dreadful.
If Waller Bridge had been at the helm, it could have been fantastic.

I'd be interested in hearing a female take on it

I thought her performance was excellent and that carried the film because basically it was a poorly written script. The dialogue in the first scene was appallingly bad. The exposition from some of the characters, especially Alfred Molina's, was awful.

The director seems to have had a massive leg up from her mate Phoebe Waller Bridge. I'd liken it to the second series of Killing Eve which she also wrote. It lacked all of the charm and nuance that Waller Bridge put into the first series.

I thought it was cholla pettle....

Just watched it. I agree the first scene was poor. I'm not sure if I'd have continued watching if not for Carey Mulligan's performance. However, I did enjoy it, I kept wondering what it would have been like if it had been set in Britain.

It kept me interested, and surprised, although I could see what would happen with Ryan, and his final scene with her felt clunky. But overall a decent watch.

Solid 6.5/10, Mulligan is a massive wad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back