Previous England World Cup Final Memories

Nowt to do with 'Was it over the line' before anyone says but a few memories of our previous World Cup Final appearances. Being a forum elder statesmen in the literal sense here's a few from 1979.

1.Thinking we were going to win the bloody thing when we had them 99-4.

2.Sir Viv and Collis King demolishing our bowling attack with hitting no one had ever seen in this format of cricket at the time.

3.Brearley thinking our '5th bowler' of Gooch,Larkins and Boycott in a cap would contain them.:lol:

4.Viv flicking the final ball from Hendrick into The Tavern for six.

5.Boycott taking 17 overs to get into double figures!!

6.Shouting at the TV for him and Brearley to get a bloody move on.

7.Gooch's brave attempt to get a bloody move on.

8.The Big Bird seemingly bowling a yorker with every delivery.

9.England losing 10 wkts for 65- mostly to Garner's aforementioned yorkers:eek:

10.Thinking at the end if it was worth having these World Cups as it was obvious the Windies were going to win even one.:D

Last edited:

My main memory of the 92 final is waking up at 4.30am to listen to it on the radio before going to school.

Fortunately, our woodwork teacher was a massive cricket fan so allowed us to listen for a few hours rather than acutally teach us anything.

Pretty sure it was CMJ commentating when Pringle had Miandad plumb LBW but it wasn't given.

Heard Peter Baxter commemtating on the final few overs while walking home for lunch.

I think I tried to stay up to watch the highlights on Sportsnight but fell asleep during the 9 O'clock News!

Why on earth was the final held on a Wednesday?

Nice way of getting the oldies outed ;)

I can vividly remember the excitement of having the windies four down before a 100 on the board in 79

Randall’s brilliant fielding, Hendrick bowling McGrath like at lords

Also the 87 final when we were cruising until GATT’s reverse sweep at border got him out

92 final again we had chances but dropped catch and wasims bowling ended that

Time has come to finally win this competition, to join our t20 World Cup win

Would be nice if Ben scored the runs and wood took the last wicket. Iirc Colly scored the winning run in the t20 final so Durham winning this World Cup would be special as well

1979, Boycott and Brearley opening for England in the final (yes, really), chasing the thick end of 300, we crawled along until it became an impossible task for the last 20-odd overs.
I remember a few of us watching some of the 1987 final at school in the morning, behind a curtain in the hall, our PE teacher going mental at Gatting's reverse sweep.

Nowt to do with 'Was it over the line' before anyone says but a few memories of our previous World Cup Final appearances. Being a forum elder statesmen in the literal sense here's a few from 1979.

2.Sir Viv and Collis King demolishing our bowling attack with hitting no one had ever seen in this format of cricket at the time.

3.Brearley thinking our '5th bowler' of Gooch,Larkins and Boycott in a cap would contain them.:lol:

10.Thinking at the end if it was worth having these World Cups as it was obvious the Windies were going to win even one.:D

All of this - was Randall's run out in that game too - he was an amazing fielder.

It's difficult to comprehend that 293 off 60 overs was considered a challenging target in 1979, even taking no field restrictions into consideration.

All of this - was Randall's run out in that game too - he was an amazing fielder.
Durham played Notts in a friendly at the Racecourse in 1980 or 81, and even in that he was never stood still. Amazing player, pulled off a stupendous run out in an ashes test in 77.

11. Clive Lloyd dropping an absolute dolly off Boycott at cover, and everybody saying it was deliberate as he didn't want Gower and Gooch in accelerating the score.

Last edited:
1992 final, stayed off college to watch the final at my mates house who had Sky TV. Was devastated, was sure Beefy would win it for us.

1999, went to a few games including India v Pakistan at OT. Incredible atmosphere and saw Tendulkar for the first time.

2019, watching England beat NZ at CLS in the glorious sunshine.

If we win this WC I think I would be quite emotional.

I remember the first one in 1975.

I'd only got into cricket a couple of years before when the West Indies toured with Kanhai and Kalicharran, Bernard Julian and co but by 1975 the old guard were beginning to be replaced by some exciting cricketers. India of course had only been an independent country for 27 years and I remember their showing at Lords v England. IIRC someone like Amiss got 130 plus and England racked up neck end of 300. India's reply was awful. Took Gavaskar 50 overs to get about 40 and it was a world away from the Indian cricket team of today.

I was very disappointed when England were unceremoniously dumped out in the SF but the main memory from the final was the West Indies fans, who sporadically spilled onto the pitch and banged their cans of red stripe/similar all game in the seats.

World Cup cricket was up and running and the game would never be the same again.

I remember the first one in 1975.

I'd only got into cricket a couple of years before when the West Indies toured with Kanhai and Kalicharran, Bernard Julian and co but by 1975 the old guard were beginning to be replaced by some exciting cricketers. India of course had only been an independent country for 27 years and I remember their showing at Lords v England. IIRC someone like Amiss got 130 plus and England racked up neck end of 300. India's reply was awful. Took Gavaskar 50 overs to get about 40 and it was a world away from the Indian cricket team of today.

I was very disappointed when England were unceremoniously dumped out in the SF but the main memory from the final was the West Indies fans, who sporadically spilled onto the pitch and banged their cans of red stripe/similar all game in the seats.

World Cup cricket was up and running and the game would never be the same again.

That 1975 Final remains an absolute classic game of cricket.

While they had Roberts in the line up the rest of the bowling attack was the fast medium of Boyce,Julian and Holder with Lloyd's dibbly dobblys and Richards' spin....the following year the Heavy Artillery began to arrive.:eek:

Back