Pressure to reopen schools

I know I’m taking a single school as an example, but there has been a grand total of 2 positive cases within my kids’ school (my wife is in the committee for the out of school club so I know that as a fact). Both of them were back in October and they were close contacts of each other. That class and the kids who were at the out of school club with o the one who went to club were sent to isolate and, apart from the odd kid needing to isolate from contact unrelated to the school (I know of 2 in my daughter’s class), there’s been no other disruption.

I appreciate other schools might be in a different boat but certainly my local primary school appears to be low risk.

Same here. Even better at our primary school. The first positive case was in December. Very little disruption. Id imagine some areas full of idiots sending in kids while positive themselves would make things worse.
This reads as if it's about inconvenience and parents struggling to balance work life with looking after kids rather than about the kids education. Not criticising mind, as truth be told that is the biggest issue for many. Children's mental health is a go to line recently and let's be honest, for young children, missing out on elements (home schooling means they are still learning) of education isn't a biggie at this stage. It is probably better for them to be around other children more mind.

Probably why on Sunday he said they were safe and on Monday he closed them :lol:

Yeah i'll admit im biased as im struggling myself but its the whole package really. Can you imagine some households maybe with a working from home single parent just being left to their own devices with no interaction with other kids?. Or a family of 5 kids running riot as the parenta try to work?

Last edited:

Agreed. The demand for dates etc is ridiculous. The numbers dictate.
Too many people demanding certainty where there is none to give. It's how longs a piece of string. I've no love whatsoever for this government, but boris isn't mystic meg, and he can't miraculously predict the date that cases fall to an acceptable level to open things back up. People can guess, but nobody knows. Christ knows the government have guessed and hedged their bets enough times already and it's blown up in their faces every time.

Everyone is busting his balls for definitive dates, but if he gives them, then it all goes tits up and he has to u turn (again) the same people will be back baying for his blood for messing them around.

Same here. Even better at our primary school. The first positive case was in December. Very little disruption. Id imagine some areas full of idiots sending in kids while positive themselves would make things worse.

Yeah i'll admit im biased as im struggling myself but its the whole package really. Can you imagine some households maybe with a working from home single parent just being left to their own devices with no interaction with other kids?. Or a family of 5 kids running riot as the parenta try to work?

During the first lockdown the missus was at work half the week so it was just left to me. Would be a case of an hour or so working and ignoring them then switching. Wasn't great like .

Schools will get two weeks notice, spring half term ends on 22nd Feb so that's only two weeks for the cases to drop enough.

The two weeks notice will probably be used to vaccinate the teachers.

Schools will get two weeks notice, spring half term ends on 22nd Feb so that's only two weeks for the cases to drop enough.

The two weeks notice will probably be used to vaccinate the teachers.

I’d be very surprised if teachers were vaccinated in next 4 weeks. We’ll be lucky to get through targeted risk groups by then, unless Teachers are prioritised

Schools are safe ! Remember that lie ?

Should they have closed schools permanently or told the public 'bring your kids back to school but we want you to appreciate that they aren't completely safe'.

What should they have opted for?

Should they have closed schools permanently or told the public 'bring your kids back to school but we want you to appreciate that they aren't completely safe'.

I don't think the issue was ever the safety of the kids it was the community transmission.

We all kn

we all know the truth ( well most do ) regarding schools going back.
What you should not do is talk deliberate bollox, I think sometimes you just look for a row on here and the laughable thing is its you that ends up wound up. If you want to play then let's play.

We all kn

we all know the truth ( well most do ) regarding schools going back.
What you should not do is talk deliberate bollox, I think sometimes you just look for a row on here and the laughable thing is its you that ends up wound up. If you want to play then let's play.

It would have been easier to just answer the question. I can't imagine a more simplistic angle than declaring that the government lied about schools being safe, like its some kind of binary measure.

Of course I look for a row on here. That's what everyone does. If you see a post you disagree with, you engage in a discussion about it. It just happens its normally your posts that catch my attention. I like playing with you.

It would have been easier to just answer the question. I can't imagine a more simplistic angle than declaring that the government lied about schools being safe, like its some kind of binary measure.

Of course I look for a row on here. That's what everyone does. If you see a post you disagree with, you engage in a discussion about it. It just happens its normally your posts that catch my attention. I like playing with you.
You don't know, we both know you spend most of the time whinging how hard you are finding things or resorting to the usual ' you are liking this ' because you get irate so quickly.
If you can't handle folk making you look like a plonker then watch telly is my advice.
Over to you.

I think schools should definitely be the first things to reopen, but it needs to be the right time and done carefully.
Analysis on school closures from around the world last year indicated that schools being open increased the r rate by around 25%, that's a huge amount and can easily be the difference between cases falling or growing exponentially.

Imagine if we'd had a proper lockdown, closed borders sharpish and not had schools and universities cracking on as normal. Life would be canny now. Instead we got half arsed pissing about with the public sick as chips and no longer arsed and here we are :(

You don't know, we both know you spend most of the time whinging how hard you are finding things or resorting to the usual ' you are liking this ' because you get irate so quickly.
If you can't handle folk making you look like a plonker then watch telly is my advice.
Over to you.

I genuinely do enjoy our exchanges. I sometimes worry I might be developing 'feelings' for you. Other than our first exchange when you launched in calling me a 'f***ing moron' or words to that effect I've never felt irate. Perhaps occasionally irritated but never irate.

Anyway you still haven't addressed my question.

I genuinely do enjoy our exchanges. I sometimes worry I might be developing 'feelings' for you. Other than our first exchange when you launched in calling me a 'f***ing moron' or words to that effect I've never felt irate. Perhaps occasionally irritated but never irate.

Anyway you still haven't addressed my question.
Weirdly I've backed off because I was worried about the state you get yourself in to on here, I'm not sure you want to revisit the school thread again ( what a poor choice ) you seemed very irritated in that one.
The vaccine thread was also a particular favourite when you thought a poster was going to agree with you but questioned you know what.

I don't answer dumb questions, you should know that.

Weirdly I've backed off because I was worried about the state you get yourself in to on here, I'm not sure you want to revisit the school thread again ( what a poor choice ) you seemed very irritated in that one.
The vaccine thread was also a particular favourite when you thought a poster was going to agree with you but questioned you know what.

I don't answer dumb questions, you should know that.

😭 I thought we were getting on well. I think you are doing a lot of projecting here. I can probably count on one hand the posters on here who I've 'clashed with'. In fact I'd have some fingers spare. Most of your posts involve a little 'spat'. I'm definitely getting under your skin tonight. Feel free to project a bit more.

😭 I thought we were getting on well. I think you are doing a lot of projecting here. I can probably count on one hand the posters on here who I've 'clashed with'. In fact I'd have some fingers spare. Most of your posts involve a little 'spat'. I'm definitely getting under your skin tonight. Feel free to project a bit more.
:lol:

Parents are frustrated that their kids are missing out on valuable schooling, well I am. This past year have been a complete waste for my kids, not only with the schools being closed in the lockdown but also the times when the class have had to isolate because of a positive test.

Home schooling certainly isnt the answer and neither is schools being shut so I seriously suggest school start using their initiative to enable kids to get back to school as it's so much better for kids it be in a school environment

Boo f***ing hoo. Moaning about classes having to isolate even after a positive test? What do you want just to let it spread through the school like wildfire?

I'm not moaning that the kids had to isolate. I'm pointing out how much schooling / education has been lost in the past year. Too much education has been lost

I agree but schools being back before numbers were lower leads to it spreading like wildfire we learnt that in December. Then you get into putting classes into isolation or cracking on

Back