Premier League confirmed that it would adopt a form of squad cost control similar to the UEFA model

With that faintest hope of the lads being able to make it to the top gone, can someone tell me why I should continue to watch football, when the costs of tickets and trains continue to rise, my living costs are through the roof and my wages have stagnated completely?

I know I'm being over the top. But the games completely broken isn't it.

Base it on your enjoyment of the day. If its a chore with no upside, dont go.

The rule is at club level, e.g. every premier league club can only spend £100M on payments to players in any shape or form.

A club is free to spend all of that on 1 player if they choose.

Then it's for the club to demonstrate their income, and show they've only spent £100M on payment to players. If they don't, they get docked points.

Any backdoor payments would be against the rules, as they are now.

But the investment is pointless as it just goes through the clubs and directly to players. It's not benefitting the wider game or supporters at all.
you trying to tell me some of these owners aren't creative 'off the books'? :lol:

Because all it does it reduce a once-competitive sport to a battle of the bank balances, and which bloated plutocrat is daft enough to piss their fortune up the wall of ownership.

It's everythiing football should not be about.
It's always been a battle of the bank balances.
How else did we have the world transfer record in both the '20s and the '50s?
We were the Bank of England club...

But those funds were generated by the clubs themselves. Director/shareholder loans were unheard of. We were self-sustaining in those eras. As were all other clubs. That's what we need to get back to.

I think it’s funny that it stops them competing but we all know it’s just another way of protecting the “big six”.

I love listening to my dad’s stories about the seventies when a charismatic man like Brian Clough could build a club from also-rans into European champions and fans of every club could dream, not just the glory hunting wankers who follow Liverpool and City.

I detest football but I love Sunderland. I don’t watch any games that don’t involve my club.

In all honesty I have more interest in cricket and rugby these days.
Shilton and Francis? Also rans? He also bought a bunch from Derby who’d already won the league.

Surely the Saudi Govt could just send mag shirts to every house in America (not houses with gay people for obvious reason) and say their income from this was £900m, and job done, FFP resolved and they spend what they like.
With that faintest hope of the lads being able to make it to the top gone, can someone tell me why I should continue to watch football, when the costs of tickets and trains continue to rise, my living costs are through the roof and my wages have stagnated completely?

Aside from putting up with shit like this season, when we play well it's good to watch. It has always been the case that the richest teams do the best, they say its heritage and all that, but it's not, it's always been about having money to buy the best players and pay them well.

I would also point out that the quality of football in the top flight is really good, so much better than decades back.

Last edited:
We blew £50 million on our return to the championship and have spent a bit since , but my point is if the owners have the funds and can cover the debts then why can’t you spend
I’d be looking to go down the road of every time a club spend they lodge an equivalent amount with a FL/PL ran company. If the club go tits up its used to help sort their self inflicted shit up. It’d help keep transfer fees and wages down etc. iE a £10m player will most likely be only receiving bids of £5m etc. Obviously it’d have to be phased in.
Where were they when he took over?
Same as Derby. Arse end of D2.
I lived through those days, of course he was a great manager but there’s a lot of attention paid to Taylor’s bargain spotting and a lot of deliberate ignoring of the cash being splashed when a bargain couldn’t be found.
Ask Mr Smith and the Sunderland fire brigade for the 50s part of your question.

Last edited:
Bored with it.
The people with power have managed to change the greatest sport into a complete and utter mess.

You’ve got a class point there mind

Back