Poverty 'driving people to choose between eating or keeping clean'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across with this from last month:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...etween-eating-or-keeping-clean-in-kind-direct

In a pinch you need a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo, and a tube of toothpaste to keep clean. They are all items that you can buy for under a quit and all last for multiple uses.

Sanitary products, and razors can be bought cheaply if you are hard up and shop around, as can washing up powder which you'll need to keep your clothes clean.

I can understand they when you add in loads of other toiletries things get more expensive but am I daft in thinking that the essentials can all be bought really cheaply if you are skint?

https://www.theguardian.com/society...etween-eating-or-keeping-clean-in-kind-direct

In a pinch you need a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo, and a tube of toothpaste to keep clean. They are all items that you can buy for under a quit and all last for multiple uses.

Sanitary products, and razors can be bought cheaply if you are hard up and shop around, as can washing up powder which you'll need to keep your clothes clean.

I can understand they when you add in loads of other toiletries things get more expensive but am I daft in thinking that the essentials can all be bought really cheaply if you are skint?

you can keep clean and smell decent for under £2 a week easily. Hot water probably costs the most but nowt stopping you filling a sink

I go to poundland about once a month for mundane shit. Cheap as chips for some household stuff.

you can keep clean and smell decent for under £2 a week easily. Hot water probably costs the most but nowt stopping you filling a sink

Yeah, I'd imagine that gas/electricity is the main expense rather than the products themselves if you shop around. With regard to the OP, I'd say a toothbrush, as well as toothpaste, and deodorant/antiperspirant are also needed.

Aye it's cheap to buy basic toiletries and washing powder.

Rather than just distrbuting products I've often thought it would be better if someone could sit down with the people who are struggling and find out what they are doing with their money. Some basic budgeting lessons would really help. Can't be much fun if you are struggling so much you have to choose between eating and washing.

Rather than just distrbuting products I've often thought it would be better if someone could sit down with the people who are struggling and find out what they are doing with their money. Some basic budgeting lessons would really help. Can't be much fun if you are struggling so much you have to choose between eating and washing.

Budgeting should be part of the school curriculum

I'd agree with that. There are things that should be going before ditching the goat's cheese and apple sauce shampoo.

Yeah, I'd imagine that gas/electricity is the main expense rather than the products themselves if you shop around. With regard to the OP, I'd say a toothbrush, as well as toothpaste, and deodorant/antiperspirant are also needed.
A toothbrush is a given man, I didn't include a flannel or towel either. :lol:

You can get a mutipack of toothbrushes that would last a person two years for about a quid.

Hadn't considered antiperspirant or deodorant, I haven't used it in years personally so wouldn't call it an essential.

Gas and electric are expensive, I can understand the choice between "heating and eating" if you are really hard up.

When I was skint I had an immersion boiler in the place we rented. Often just boiled the kettle and filled the bathroom sink for a wash in the morning.

Last edited:
A toothbrush is a given man, I didn't include a flannel or towel either. :lol:

You can get a mutipack of toothbrushes that would last a person two years for about a quid.

Hadn't considered antiperspirant or deodorant, I haven't used it in years personally so wouldn't call it an essential.

Gas and electric are expensive, I can understand the choice between "heating and eating" if you are really hard up.

I suffer from the English disease (I sweat when it's hot) so some form of antiperspirant is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back