Post a pic of your axe

Personally I think the 59's aren't even close to being the best sounding Les Paul's either.

I reckon if I played one of these without knowing what it was my first thought would be, "It's cool and sounds decent but I really want to change the pick-ups." Then, "I'll probably just save the best part of a million quid and get myself a Studio with P90's instead."

:lol: Ner marra. Just ner.

I realise that 59 Les Paul's and 57 Strats are the alleged holy grails but honestly, no guitar in the world is worth that sort of money. The world has gone nuts.
They're more an investment these days.

Like a fine antique, that ya can plug in and rock ya socks clean orff with.

Last edited:
Well the bass story took an even more bizarre turn. @JAZZMANB

As I originally had only intended to buy one bass from the woman, I had only turned up with enough money for the one guitar, so I agreed to call around on Thursday night with the balance.

On Thursday I got there and this woman was absolutely shitfaced drunk. She started waxing lyrical about what a shit her husband had been and she wanted me to have a look through a bag full of guitar bits and pieces.

Anyway, she hands me the bag and in it are about six or seven scratch plates for basses / guitars all Fender, several bass bridges, a couple of pedals, some books, strings etc. I said to her that I wasn't really interested but I would give her the equivalent of 50 quid for them. She said "no, no, no, I don't want any money for them I just want you to have them along with that other half built guitar. Please just take them or they are going in the skip outside."

I tried to give her the money but she wouldn't take it so I left with a half built guitar and a load of parts.

I got home, the guitar appears to be a one piece walnut body, a Fender 1998 USA Precision Neck, Hipshot Tuners, Lace Sensor Spilt P Bass pick ups.

I've now rocked up with another beautiful bass and she wouldn't take a penny.

Well the bits started arriving for the bass that the woman gave me noted above.

I managed to alter the pots heights to allow the installation of a tortoiseshell pick guard, I bought and installed a new hipshot bridge and a Fender pick up cover. The installed tuners were gold finish and I've ordered some hipshot replacements. The nut needs some work. I have new strings to install once the new tuners arrive....

I've installed strap locks, just need to fit to the strap.

Then finally I will attempt to set up a bass for the first time.

A couple of photos to follow later.
Logon or register to see this image

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/ReaL_Madras/media/B7C3A0B0-F8A0-44EB-B6DD-32FD4B96347E_1.jpg.html

Update with pics @JAZZMANB

Last edited:
Well the bits started arriving for the bass that the woman gave me noted above.

I managed to alter the pots heights to allow the installation of a tortoiseshell pick guard, I bought and installed a new hipshot bridge and a Fender pick up cover. The installed tuners were gold finish and I've ordered some hipshot replacements. The nut needs some work. I have new strings to install once the new tuners arrive....

I've installed strap locks, just need to fit to the strap.

Then finally I will attempt to set up a bass for the first time.

A couple of photos to follow later.

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/ReaL_Madras/media/B7C3A0B0-F8A0-44EB-B6DD-32FD4B96347E_1.jpg.html

Update with pics @JAZZMANB

New Hipshot turners arrived today so I'll install them today....

Get rid of the pick up guard.
Look odd without the bridge one and its only on for looks

I like it aesthetically speaking but it feels weird to play, i.e. where you put your hand.......
playing Jazz's for years i love my Precision but i'm used to the jazz bridge pickup being my thumb rest so the odd time i need a sharp attack with fingers just off the bridge i'm knackered.Got an ashtray on the bridge and do a dum dum style over the pick up on the Precision.

Last edited:
Any one the best place to sell a Epiphone T-bird gothic bass and a 15w marshall bass amp? Only used once both in there originl boxes.. i've had them on shpock but the only offer ive had was £80 for the bass, i turned it down..

I'm still after a decent acoustic if anyone is selling.
My mate just bought his son a Vintage V300 and its a great little folk sized acoustic. Solid spruce top, lovely feeling tuners, good playability. I think he paid about £140 for it new, which is a great bang for your buck for what it delivers. If you can live with not having a "go to" name on your headstock, there's a bargain to be had.

Go and see Shaun at Riff raft guitars next to the Burton house . He's always got some decent acoustics in .

I'm rarely in Sunderland and Durham is wank. Might head through one day. Seen a lovely Blueridge but it's down Birmingham. 6 hour round trip doesn't seem too ridiculous does it?

I'm rarely in Sunderland and Durham is wank. Might head through one day. Seen a lovely Blueridge but it's down Birmingham. 6 hour round trip doesn't seem too ridiculous does it?
That's a canny hike mate. If its second hand, I'd ask for some close up pics of action height etc. before travelling that far.

Back