Ponting Retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great player, who played with a lot of passion
Although I would say lacked class in certain areas of his career.

Still one of the best batsmen of a generation.

One of the greatest on his day.

Still think people overhype his captaincy. Great record but he had the best side in the world by miles playing under him at the time.

Must say I loved nothing more than seeing him struggle in the last 2 Ashes though.

Pity that, the Aussies will be a bit stronger next summer without him. Would have been handy to have a walking wicket to help our bowlers get confident ;)

Cracking player though in all seriousness. The stand out memory has to be the way he saved the Aussies on the last day at Old Trafford in 2005, the most frustrating day of batting when watching as an England fan, but an incredible innings that day.

Michael Clarke was almost in tears at the press conference.

He would be a nice addition to the Durham side next season but I doubt we can afford him.

had some great moments watching him bat, which included harmy cutting him and garry pratt ;)

met him in melbourne last year and he seemed a canny bloke despite his media persona, he was a gritty warrior who played classy strokes and made big(ish) scores, if only sachin would follow suit!

I've had a great afternoon winding up all my Aussie mates, told them it was a sad day for English cricket as he'd done so much for the Ashes...got a few easy bites too. The man was a great batsman but, like others have said, lacked class and often let himself down on and off the pitch.

Shame though as now there's only really Siddle left who I can't stand in the Aussie side!

What a bunch of cúnts.

As an aside, they've got one thing right:

"As a sporting villian, we loved to hate you" which was alluded to by Langer who said it made him 'sick' when we booed Ponting. If he was shit, we wouldn't have booed him. We booed him because he was good; and I'd imagine a good 99.9% of England fans admired his sporting ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back