Police fitness test deemed unfair on women

dangermows

Striker

"Female officers were suffering indirect discrimination as they are far more likely to fail the test".

Could they not just reduce the duration rather than get rid of it? Fitness levels will play a part in the role afterall.

When I played basketball in school I felt I was discriminated against because I was only 5'9. So I petitioned for the next to be dropped 2 foot.

Tbf if the team was mixed and they set the bar at 6 foot that would discriminate against women.

Would have assumed the bleep test would have a different male/female target 🤷‍♂️

Thinking about it, why would it? If you need a certain fitness level to be accomplished in the role, that's the level needed for everyone.

"Female officers were suffering indirect discrimination as they are far more likely to fail the test".

Could they not just reduce the duration rather than get rid of it? Fitness levels will play a part in the role afterall.
Tin hat on, but how many men are fast enough to sprint after a moving train?

It’s obviously an outdated relic from the Victorian era.

Tbf if the team was mixed and they set the bar at 6 foot that would discriminate against women.

Thinking about it, why would it? If you need a certain fitness level to be accomplished in the role, that's the level needed for everyone.
I would say it’s about a basic fitness level rather than a comparable one…there will be some fitter and unfit male cops. I’d say having a base level of fitness would be the thing, and this would be different when comparing a man and a woman.

The tests nowadays are easy anyway. Male, female or penguin, if you can’t pass the bleep test you shouldn’t be hired.
Isn’t that the idea of any test ? If you can’t pass it, you fail.

If the evidence is you need to be a level than that’s what the pass should be. If that’s maths or fitness then that’s the level imo. Will entrance exams be scrapped because it discriminates against thickies? It’s a race to the bottom with stuff like this and failing has no consequences.

I may be completely wrong here, but in certain job sectors where they are trying to recruit more women, black etc, is this not changing in order to get more none males in to balance it out?.

Should never change or reduce fitness requirements for any roles in front line services like police or armed forces. All it does is lowers the standards and makes them less effective. If women can pass the fitness/entry tests then great, they'll be an asset. If they can't it should be a case of tough shit you'll have to apply for another role in the services or a different line of work all together.

I often wonder what the deal is in America, how many obese cops they've got. They've surely had to pass some form of physical at some point. Where does it end?, have people in wheel chairs as frontline police because discrimination?. I've been obese, I'm also colourblind you wouldn't want me as your electrician for a reason.

I often wonder what the deal is in America, how many obese cops they've got. They've surely had to pass some form of physical at some point. Where does it end?, have people in wheel chairs as frontline police because discrimination?. I've been obese, I'm also colourblind you wouldn't want me as your electrician for a reason.
Yeah we're turning into a society where you have to tell people they can do/be anything they want when some people just aren't suite for certain roles. Will come back to bite us tbh.

Back