Playing - When do You Peak?

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
The thread about how everyone's season went is a good one and got me thinking about how a club 'career' goes.

I was one of many who sack it off young (16) then came back later (27). I'm nine seasons in now and while my fielding is on the wane my batting scores get better year on year - although I think this year might be where it peaks.

To me batting is a case of learning what your percentage shots are and it takes years to do, resisting the shots that you'll average 15 or less with. Boycott said on the radio that a good club cricketer can get by with a good forward defensive and two attacking shots and I can see where he comes from.

At what point do dodgy reactions outweigh the good cricket brain though? Would a club fast bowler peak at 30 and a batsman at 35-40?

As I've said earlier, my batting has come on as I've got older. Less rash shots and just focusing on relying on a couple of shots I can play with confidence. With bowling, as the 'pace' reduces, the mind takes over. Bowl where the batsman least wants you to and mix it up a bit when you can't hoss it down like you used to 10 years ago. I can't run as fast now but the catching has improved, all to do with relaxing a bit!

Well i'm 38 and just had my best season. Its weird as things seemed to click for me late last season and then its carried over to this season - i just seem to be more relaxed and i'm able to concentrate better - add in a bit more fitness and ability to actually run between the wickets and i might be half decent.

What you said about scoring shots is starting to ring true for me - my main shot has always been the drive - if i can manage to hit one early the confidence seems to flow and i know i'm in for a canny score.

maybe as i've got older i dont seem to care about failing (everyone fails at some point so why worry) and thats let me concentrate on scoring runs.

Well i'm 38 and just had my best season. Its weird as things seemed to click for me late last season and then its carried over to this season - i just seem to be more relaxed and i'm able to concentrate better - add in a bit more fitness and ability to actually run between the wickets and i might be half decent.

What you said about scoring shots is starting to ring true for me - my main shot has always been the drive - if i can manage to hit one early the confidence seems to flow and i know i'm in for a canny score.

maybe as i've got older i dont seem to care about failing (everyone fails at some point so why worry) and thats let me concentrate on scoring runs.

I assumed you'd have changed the choice of shots to get that surge in runs, surprised its all in the mind.

What was said above re catching rings true mind, when I cast my mind back plenty of mine have come in nervous/ pressure situations.

I played from 10 years old until I was 40 odd and then packed in due to other commitments. I was better than most my age from 15-19 but never put in the practice to really develop my shot making so I stagnated after that.

I assumed you'd have changed the choice of shots to get that surge in runs, surprised its all in the mind.

What was said above re catching rings true mind, when I cast my mind back plenty of mine have come in nervous/ pressure situations.
What I always tell my lot is that you have to want the ball to come to you. Simple stuff really.

Good post and I can relate to that. I was a good and confident junior player but in my 20s I didn't practice as much but did fear failure too much looking back and was too risk averse. I packed in for a few seasons and came back and played in my early 40s and scored a lot of runs (at 3rd team level) and felt much more relaxed in my game.

What I also think can improve your game is helping out kids and those with less talent. You're teaching them how to play properly and subconsciously it feeds into your own game (as you have to practice what you preach). Do this as early in your career as you can.

I would also advocate a spot of umpiring as without the advantage of watching ourselves bat and bowl on 'video', you can see the game up close and it could help you notice things that players are doing/not doing that you can take on board.

Last edited:
The thread about how everyone's season went is a good one and got me thinking about how a club 'career' goes.

I was one of many who sack it off young (16) then came back later (27). I'm nine seasons in now and while my fielding is on the wane my batting scores get better year on year - although I think this year might be where it peaks.

To me batting is a case of learning what your percentage shots are and it takes years to do, resisting the shots that you'll average 15 or less with. Boycott said on the radio that a good club cricketer can get by with a good forward defensive and two attacking shots and I can see where he comes from.

At what point do dodgy reactions outweigh the good cricket brain though? Would a club fast bowler peak at 30 and a batsman at 35-40?
My best club years as a quick were between age 30 and 36 when I retired due to injury

Its strange but this season i've played more expansive shots - for years i couldnt play off the legs and the pull has been out for a good while. This season i'm playing them without really thinking about it.

The new bat i got at the end of last year has really helped as well - felt a lot more confident in it as it just felt "right" - the last few bats never felt brilliant and that may have contributed as well - again more a mental thing than anything else.

Looking forward to the new season already, normally by this point i'm sick to death of cricket.

As a batsman, I think my ability against slower bowling has improved with age, but since 30 my reactions have definitely slowed when it comes to the quicker bowlers. In my 20s I would instinctively hook/pull/sway out of the way, but struggle much more since 30 against the quicker lads.

Back