Pitch Invasions

It’s that time of year again where pitch invasions are a regular occurrence up and down the country - Portsmouth doing one last night after winning League One.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Sunderland never do them despite promotions, staying up, play off wins, reaching Wembley etc.

We’ve had little overspills in the heat of the moment but when was the last time we done a full pitch invasion?

It’s never crossed my mind to run on the pitch in celebration tbh. Don’t see the appeal in it.

Only time I've ever done it was at Ian Porterfield's testimonial in 1978. Got to pat the great man on the back. I was only 11 like.

It’s that time of year again where pitch invasions are a regular occurrence up and down the country - Portsmouth doing one last night after winning League One.

Sunderland never do them despite promotions, staying up, play off wins, reaching Wembley etc.

We’ve had little overspills in the heat of the moment but when was the last time we done a full pitch invasion?

It’s never crossed my mind to run on the pitch in celebration tbh. Don’t see the appeal in it.
Used to happen all the time at away matches in the 70's :lol:

Ones I can remember.
Chelsea home 1992 cup run.
Notts County away, stayed up last game of season.
Swindon away, last game of season, didn't go up.
Bury away, got promoted.

Vaguely remember Oldham last game of season at Roker, drew I think (about 88/89 ish).
Seems it wasn’t last game of the season after looking🤷‍♂️

Done it loads of times in the 90s
Most memorable at roker would be quarter final vs chelsea
Away probably Bury
The “newer” stadiums like ours stopped it
Now that I think of it I say loads but it’s probably more like a few times 😂

Pitch invasions at full time etc are crap. Fans spilling onto the pitch as part of goal celebrations are absolutely tremendous. We did it loads against the Mags. Had them seething :lol:

Last edited:

i we have one ..please take a bin liner with you, that way you can clean up some the shit tornados on the pitch

Wasn't there one at Tranmere last game of the 95-96 season, got beat 2-0 but wild celebrations from the away end when John Aldridge scored his penalty due to Jason Dozzell putting Spurs 1-0 up at the landfill.

Yeah, had Butcher out celebrating as if he had kept us up, it was other results that kept us up.
I legged the length of the pitch at Tranmere and tried to do a crowd surf in their end - they moved and I smacked me chops off a seat

I legged the length of the pitch at Tranmere and tried to do a crowd surf in their end - they moved and I smacked me chops off a seat
Yeah I joined in the Forest one, not intentionally, but for some reason swapped a Sunderland training top for a forest shirt with one of their fans. Next thing I know I'm being booted out of the away end by a Steward back onto the pitch. Had to make my way around the ground to get back to the coach.

Back