Pitch Invasions

It’s that time of year again where pitch invasions are a regular occurrence up and down the country - Portsmouth doing one last night after winning League One.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Sunderland never do them despite promotions, staying up, play off wins, reaching Wembley etc.

We’ve had little overspills in the heat of the moment but when was the last time we done a full pitch invasion?

It’s never crossed my mind to run on the pitch in celebration tbh. Don’t see the appeal in it.

It’s that time of year again where pitch invasions are a regular occurrence up and down the country - Portsmouth doing one last night after winning League One.

Sunderland never do them despite promotions, staying up, play off wins, reaching Wembley etc.

We’ve had little overspills in the heat of the moment but when was the last time we done a full pitch invasion?

It’s never crossed my mind to run on the pitch in celebration tbh. Don’t see the appeal in it.
Roker '96 I reckon.

Aside from that we've had some minor overspills such as the Richardson 2-1 derby win.

They're canny sackless.

Seems a “blind eye” is turned when it’s last game of season or cup giant killing etc.
It is against the rules whether we like it or not, to go on the pitch.

There were a couple at Roker park that I can remember, think it might have been during the 92 Cup run or possibly getting promoted under Reid. Can't remember any at the SOL.

There were a couple at Roker park that I can remember, think it might have been during the 92 Cup run or possibly getting promoted under Reid. Can't remember any at the SOL.
Was on the pitch after the Chelsea game giving Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise grief.

Others I can remember were Northampton after winning the league
And a game v Oldham in the 90s (possibly last home game of the season)

I don't think I could be arsed TBH.

When our seats were further back it would sometimes take about 10 minutes to get out of the stadium, so I guess that would be a problem for many potential invaders in row 30 odd+.

Chelsea,Portsmouth at roker.Jumping on the pitch from clockstand when scoring against the mags.Old Trafford 1990,only small.Stoke away,think Lee Clark scored,only small.Hillsborough 92 semi.When we scored and at the end.

March 4th 1961 v Spurs. FA Cup, Spurs sauntering towards the double and had a game against us which they expected to walk.
Panic set in when we scored to equalise early in the second half. Sheer joy and delight led to some dancing on the pitch.
Danny Blanchflower walking around trying to calm his players down. Manager Nicholson reckoned it was the loudest noise he had ever heard. Draw at the end,
lost the replay 5-0. Good while it lasted
Crowd by the way was 61,000.

Back