PIF & Durham 100 Franchise

From what I’d heard the Saudis were really looking to get into cricket in general, Durham was seen as an easy option especially if the hundred team came along with it later, and also the regional links to PIF

Buy into us on the cheap now and reap the rewards later, build our hotel as sweetener too
But to be really honest are we as Sunderland supporting Durham fans/members really a large amount of the fanbase? Got to be loads of mags go to games, or people that couldn’t give two hoots about football or where the money game from

Probably just a vocal minority

I’d say that c50% of the crowd
has an SAFC affiliation. How many of that would be aware/ politicised enough to be bothered is probably a more worrying number.

I wouldn’t go anymore, not that my three visits a season would bother them.

Even Steve Harmison has said that the best part of Durham cricket is brining together NUFC and SAFC fans and he refused to wear black and white colours when taking the Div 1 trophy round SJP IIRC

He spoke very well about the inclusivity of DCCC on the Wise Men Say podcast before the derby. I’d tend to think there are more SAFC fans than any other club that are regulars at Chester-le-street (and away) but Sunderland was always considered to be a part of County Durham and none of the other clubs in the region have the same geographical connection.

Having said that, I’ve seen all the NE clubs represented at Durham games and I see that as a brilliant thing. My opinion on this is that for once, unity is strength.

He spoke very well about the inclusivity of DCCC on the Wise Men Say podcast before the derby. I’d tend to think there are more SAFC fans than any other club that are regulars at Chester-le-street (and away) but Sunderland was always considered to be a part of County Durham and none of the other clubs in the region have the same geographical connection.

Having said that, I’ve seen all the NE clubs represented at Durham games and I see that as a brilliant thing. My opinion on this is that for once, unity is strength.

When you listen to players who’ve come from elsewhere in interviews they always praise the region’s passion for sport generally and how Durham taps into that.

Some of my best mates are mags and whilst we don’t see eye to eye on football these days it’s class that we can all get behind a common cause in Durham

When you listen to players who’ve come from elsewhere in interviews they always praise the region’s passion for sport generally and how Durham taps into that.

Some of my best mates are mags and whilst we don’t see eye to eye on football these days it’s class that we can all get behind a common cause in Durham
Enjoy it while it lasts

Can someone please help an old man here?
These franchises, are they officially anything to do with the counties that host the matches at their grounds?

This is where we could be a bit torn.
If the new franchise had no official tie to Durham we would still go to the county matches, if the county and the franchise was one and the same we would give it up regardless of who the backers of the franchise were
It will be a two tier system, everything feeding up to thr franchise. At that point we'll all walk away, and it won't matter.

Agreed. As far as I’m concerned football allegiances have no place inside a cricket ground. Durham have always prided themselves on being about the region and not safc or NUFC or boro. Keep it that way imo.

I said it wouldn’t go down well. I even referenced this board in the meeting and pointed out how many DCCC supporters are actually SAFC supporters. No one really knew what I was talking about, which worryingly highlighted a complete lack of knowledge about the area.

I’d be absolutely amazed if some people at the very top end of the club, who’d have to be involved in the deal, didn’t make them very aware of this.

Back