PIF & Durham 100 Franchise

safccfas

Winger
Is it common knowledge on here that Durham are in talks with Saudi PIF about investment and the creation of a new 100 North East franchise deal?

Yes.

It's horrific and will cause any of us with any sense to retire from county cricket and back to our local sides

I said it wouldn’t go down well. I even referenced this board in the meeting and pointed out how many DCCC supporters are actually SAFC supporters. No one really knew what I was talking about, which worryingly highlighted a complete lack of knowledge about the area.

I said it wouldn’t go down well. I even referenced this board in the meeting and pointed out how many DCCC supporters are actually SAFC supporters. No one really knew what I was talking about, which worryingly highlighted a complete lack of knowledge about the area.

What meeting were you at?

There'd be less than 5% of members walk away I'd think when it actually came down to it. The positives would far outweigh the negatives as far as the club see it.
So another case of “ we’ll align ourselves to whatever source of income that comes along regardless of their moral compass” I would disassociate myself from the club if this was to happen, not that they’d care like.

There'd be less than 5% of members walk away I'd think when it actually came down to it. The positives would far outweigh the negatives as far as the club see it.
I suspect you're right. Obviously this board isn't representative of the members of a whole. Any mags supporters will have no qualms about it.

TBH even just becoming part of the 16.4 circus might be enough to stop us going nevermind PIF but i can see why the club would love to bend over.

Id be disgusted

I'd be very disappointed if Durham got into bed with those clowns as you know exactly what would happen - it would become another vehicle of the "jawdee nashun" and we'd be told instaly we "divvent understaaaaand".

A hundred side should be about the region as a whole and not have any identity with any single football club.

From what I’d heard the Saudis were really looking to get into cricket in general, Durham was seen as an easy option especially if the hundred team came along with it later, and also the regional links to PIF

Buy into us on the cheap now and reap the rewards later, build our hotel as sweetener too
But to be really honest are we as Sunderland supporting Durham fans/members really a large amount of the fanbase? Got to be loads of mags go to games, or people that couldn’t give two hoots about football or where the money game from

Probably just a vocal minority

Last edited:
As above not answering that on here as it was work related.

You've gone to a meeting at work, stated that SAFC Durham members would be unhappy with a PIF alliance, and then said on here your colleagues had a complete lack of knowledge relating to the feelings of the membership.

I hope you haven't signed any sort of confidentiality clause because your employers will easily be able to work out who's slagging work colleagues off for a lack of knowledge around membership on the back of your post.
From what I’d heard the Saudis were really looking to get into cricket in general, Durham was seen as an easy option especially if the hundred team came along with it later, and also the regional links to PIF

Buy into us on the cheap now and reap the rewards later, build our hotel as sweetener too
But to be really honest are we as Sunderland supporting Durham fans/members really a large amount of the fanbase? Got to be loads of mags go to games, or people that couldn’t give two hoots about football or where the money game from

Probably just a vocal minority

They're already involved in the IPL...or at least they were last year.

Back