Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Modern
T Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Archer

Would’ve had Buttler opening but there’s no one else to really fill that number 6 position.

Roy
Buttler
Banton
Morgan
Stokes
Malan
Moeen
Rashid
Wood
Jordan
Archer
I know you don't like Bairstow, and I agree in red ball stuff but I think you are letting your vendetta get in the way here surely? He is a very good white ball batsman.
Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Modern
T Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Archer

Would’ve had Buttler opening but there’s no one else to really fill that number 6 position.
This for me although ideally Hales over Banton but fear that ship may have sailed.

I know you don't like Bairstow, and I agree in red ball stuff but I think you are letting your vendetta get in the way here surely? He is a very good white ball batsman.

This for me although ideally Hales over Banton but fear that ship may have sailed.
Hey, if the players can demand Hales doesn't get selected because they don't like him, I can demand the same of the twisty ginger because I don't like him. ;)

Roy
bairstow
root
morgan
stokes
buttler
moeen
woakes
archer
rashid
wood

curran t, jordan, banton, and someone who makes a splash in the 100, Laurie Evans type

Last edited:
Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
T.Curran
Wood
Rashid
Archer

Probably a surprise putting Root in there but he's a handy third spin option and the others can blast around him. Failing that I'd be tempted with Stokes at 3, Buttler at 5 and AN other at 6.

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
T.Curran
Wood
Rashid
Archer

Probably a surprise putting Root in there but he's a handy third spin option and the others can blast around him. Failing that I'd be tempted with Stokes at 3, Buttler at 5 and AN other at 6.
Shouldn't be he averages 37. Only Kohli scored more than him in the full competition in 2016 as Bangladesh entered preliminary round(Iqbal top scored)

Him and Kohli both hit at 147 SR throughout the competition and it was Kohli's home conditions.

Game has changed in 4 years and less emphasis on an anchoring player. But he's shown he can hit as well as anyone, that 90 against South Africa won us the game.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be he averages 37. Only Kohli scored more than him in the full competition in 2016 as Bangladesh entered preliminary round(Iqbal top scored)

Him and Kohli both hit at 147 SR throughout the competition and it was Kohli's home conditions.

Game has changed in 4 years and less emphasis on an anchoring player. But he's shown he can hit as well as anyone, that 90 against South Africa won us the game.

Fair points - I meant more surprising to others than myself but do agree with what you are saying. He can time and manoeuvre the ball as well as anyone and is great between the wickets. There's definitely a place for him IMO, particularly on pitches which might be lower and slower. I know they are few and far between in T20 and Australia but it's useful to have some variety, particularly when the 9 of the other 10 batsmen are good ball strikers.

What this thread proves is that we have excellent T20 batsman and looking very very good in that area.

It’s a interesting one with Buttler, great finisher, but also stats as a opener in the IPL, against best bowlers in the world are immense.

I would probably open with him, but it’s a really tight call, and see arguments either way.

The talent and depth available for me means Root misses out, can see the arguments for him anchoring the innings if we had less talent and more inconsistent players, but at the moment the talent and destructive players at our disposal is such we don’t need him imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back