Piano music - switching from paper to a tablet

phil

Striker
I have been playing the piano for some years for my own entertainment... I'm not very good. But over the years have built up a few books and lots of individual sheets bought thru the net. Trouble now is finding and storing the pieces of music i am learning/want to play. Have seen on video clips people playing from their tablets. However, i would have a clue where to begin. Don't have a decent tablet atm - any recommendations ? Previously have always had android phones or windows laptops if that makes any difference. Is it possible to get my present paper music onto a tablet in a decent usable form or would i have to start again?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Mobilesheets is an absolute must for android. Download or scan in your sheet music and away you go. Use a USB or Bluetooth page turner and you're completely hands free.
It's about £14 on Google store and I guarantee it's the best £14 you'll spend this year.

I believe it's available for windows too and Apple, of late, as well.

It p*sses all over forScore, apples most popular equivalent.
Add an 11" Xiaomi Redmi Pad SE for about £200 and you're good to go.
I believe that there's a limited trial version available too, to check if it's suitable, but it definitely will be.
I have been playing the piano for some years for my own entertainment... I'm not very good. But over the years have built up a few books and lots of individual sheets bought thru the net. Trouble now is finding and storing the pieces of music i am learning/want to play. Have seen on video clips people playing from their tablets. However, i would have a clue where to begin. Don't have a decent tablet atm - any recommendations ? Previously have always had android phones or windows laptops if that makes any difference. Is it possible to get my present paper music onto a tablet in a decent usable form or would i have to start again?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Lerruz knaa how it suits ya, marra.

Last edited:
Mobilesheets is an absolute must for android. Download or scan in your sheet music and away you go. Use a USB or Bluetooth page turner and you're completely hands free.
It's about £14 on Google store and I guarantee it's the best £14 you'll spend this year.

I believe it's available for windows too and Apple, of late, as well.

It p*sses all over forScore, apples most popular equivalent.
Add an 11" Xiaomi Redmi Pad SE for about £200 and you're good to go.
I believe that there's a limited trial version available too, to check if it's suitable, but it definitely will be.

Lerruz knaa how it suits ya, marra.
Thanks for your reply just investigating it all now. Have just downloaded the trial version of mobile sheets onto an old small tablet to see if i can scan some of my music to it. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your reply just investigating it all now. Have just downloaded the trial version of mobile sheets onto an old small tablet to see if i can scan some of my music to it. Will let you know how it goes.
Drop me your email and I'll link you to a few dots in my Dropbox to get you started. Just generic stuff - a live version of Oliver's Army, Black Velvet, Little Respect and what have ya.

Last edited:
Drop me your email and I'll link you to a few dots in my Dropbox to get you started. Just generic stuff - a live version of Oliver's Army, Black Velvet, Little Respect and what have ya.

Thanks for the offer, but my standard is pretty low and tbh i have plenty to be getting on with.
Have been messing around with the limited trial mobilesheets ap and have been able to successfully put some numbers on sheets for fingers.
I ordered the tablet you recommended and it was actually a bit cheaper, maybe a black friday thing.
Could i ask if you use a page turner. and if so are there any you think are good (or ones to steer clear of). There seems to be quite a variation in price.
Cheers.

Thanks for the offer, but my standard is pretty low and tbh i have plenty to be getting on with.
Have been messing around with the limited trial mobilesheets ap and have been able to successfully put some numbers on sheets for fingers.
I ordered the tablet you recommended and it was actually a bit cheaper, maybe a black friday thing.
Could i ask if you use a page turner. and if so are there any you think are good (or ones to steer clear of). There seems to be quite a variation in price.
Cheers.
Just a generic USB foot switch with 3 switches would do the trick. They're about £25 on amazon. Something like this. Screenshot_2023-11-22-04-40-44-402_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping-edit.jpgYou'd need a USB to type C converter, obviously but they're about a quid.

You assign each switch to whatever you want page forward/ page back etc for sine to sine - coda to coda etc, should you need it. It comes with a cd with a program which allows you to do so. It's a piece of p*ss.

If you just want a single page forward switch, they're only about a tenner.

Anyway, the offer of a few dots is still there. My dots are quite simple "resident band" standard so you can embellish any way you want.
Screenshot_2023-11-22-04-58-00-881_com.dropbox.android-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-11-22-04-58-46-032_com.dropbox.android-edit.jpg

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
The 11" pad arrived today but looking at it the screen size feels a bit small, was thinking of swapping it for a lenovo 12.7" which is not too much more expensive and would help my eyes a little. Is there any particular reason why you recommended the Xiaomi Redmi Pad other than a decent price and size?

The 11" pad arrived today but looking at it the screen size feels a bit small, was thinking of swapping it for a lenovo 12.7" which is not too much more expensive and would help my eyes a little. Is there any particular reason why you recommended the Xiaomi Redmi Pad other than a decent price and size?
Naaaah, no reason at all really. Just that it was a decent sized screen and they're reliable. I've had a Lenovo in the past and and it was superb too until one of the bairns "definitely didn't drop it". 🤣
The bairn (studying for Grade 5) uses Musescore and seems to like it.
Muse score is notoriously laggy and unstable. I had the same problems as some of the reviews on Google.

Last edited:

Back