Physical Season Cards

running additional bespoke systems for a minority of its customers

it isn't a minority though. if its anywhere near 7000 as suspected then its a quarter of all season tickets. and thats with all the hurdles and chew on of getting one

if they made them easy to get hold of it would probably be nearer 40% or 50% who would have one.

now, forget about the cost for a second and just consider that potentially half of our Season ticket holders would want one.... and read this quote from KLD at the supporters meeting in january of this year: ''THE AIM IS FOR SUNDERLAND TO BE THE MOST FAN-CENTRIC CLUB IN THE COUNTRY''

now, if running both systems costs the club say £5k per year, no £10k per year... then surely it would be a prime example of KLD creating a fan-centric club?

they can't have it both ways

Wasn’t implying they needed two readers. They obviously put the plastic system in place last year in a way that was compatible with the new readers. But there’s still two systems in that people are being provided with the ticket in two different ways. Which is bound to have a cost. In the case of the physical system, it is the effort of issuing them individually and probably in particular the staff time involved. They had 80% of the ticket office spend about a month last year just devoted to this issue alone. That has to have a cost.

Again, i strongly favour them both options for a reasonable length of time. But it’s naive to think it’s cost free. They’re trying to save money and in particular staff costs, just as they were when they moved from voucher books that required someone to physically take the voucher at each turnstile to plastic cards that didn’t
Fair point, but to be honest you'd think the biggest staff time will have been the first year with a plastic card when loads of people wanted a card. If they now just renewed the existing cards then they're only handling new physical card holders, or people moving seats/ age categories, which you'd imagine would be the cheapest and least staff intensive option.

Wasn’t implying they needed two readers. They obviously put the plastic system in place last year in a way that was compatible with the new readers. But there’s still two systems in that people are being provided with the ticket in two different ways. Which is bound to have a cost. In the case of the physical system, it is the effort of issuing them individually and probably in particular the staff time involved. They had 80% of the ticket office spend about a month last year just devoted to this issue alone. That has to have a cost.

Again, i strongly favour them both options for a reasonable length of time. But it’s naive to think it’s cost free. They’re trying to save money and in particular staff costs, just as they were when they moved from voucher books that required someone to physically take the voucher at each turnstile to plastic cards that didn’t
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here

To stop the existing plastic cards working requires a conscious act

Presumably they are set up to expire at the end of the season?

They were then set to be updated for entry to the BCB match against the Saudis

Worked fine for me

Now I’ve paid for next year’s ST just reactivate the card so the readers admit the person with the card

Job done - going to cost pence at most

What drives this push to using smartphones is TM etc greediness for the data to share with “partners”

Meanwhile if we want SAFC to be a genuinely inclusive club plastic cards is the way to go - junk the spy phone option

Oh and start accepting legal tender at the kiosks while they are at it

Oh and buy a striker capable of scoring goals at this level 😉

I E-mailed the ticket office as I have managed to renew my nephews ticket over the phone, but want a physical card for him for next season. I explained the reason was that although I can put his digital ticket on my phone as I did this year (he is under 14 so his phone has a restriction on which stops him using the Wallet on there as he is under 18), if I can’t attend, as was the case for the Swansea game, then we had a problem getting his ticket transferred to my brother so he could scan him in.
Therefore a physical card would be better.

Just received this response and I’m confused as I though that they were still doing physical cards next season for anyone who needed one ??

Unfortunately, we will not be doing physical cards next season, does he or any person he comes to the game with have a smart phone so he can go digital, we are asking people to do this. We will put his name on our list if not and someone will be in touch between the 3rd May and 30th June to tell them what we will be doing.

Kind Regards
Take a picture (Screen Shot) of the Ticket and text it to him….That will work as long as they have the bar code. Simple done

I've emailed the ticket office and asked if our branch can collate all the names of people needing non digital together and deal with it in one go like last year.

Not confident of a positive response.
I have just received this response from the ticket office which i have typed out word for word :-

Hi,

Any members that are requiring an alternative to digital will need to contact us directly.

Kind Regards
Ticket Office

The caring club, my hairy arsehole

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here

To stop the existing plastic cards working requires a conscious act

Presumably they are set up to expire at the end of the season?

They were then set to be updated for entry to the BCB match against the Saudis

Worked fine for me

Now I’ve paid for next year’s ST just reactivate the card so the readers admit the person with the card

Job done - going to cost pence at most

What drives this push to using smartphones is TM etc greediness for the data to share with “partners”

Meanwhile if we want SAFC to be a genuinely inclusive club plastic cards is the way to go - junk the spy phone option

Oh and start accepting legal tender at the kiosks while they are at it

Oh and buy a striker capable of scoring goals at this level 😉
Oh before Mr Bear/Sheep arrives to quote Data Protection Laws check how easy it is to opt out of having your data used for anything AND whether you have actually done this?

I know despite being quite religious about it, tapping all the boxes wears you down, most people cant be arsed and then it is kerching for the likes of Ticketmaster

Purveyors of our not fit for purpose online ticket office

Just remember when something is free YOU are the product

And then check how much Mr Zuckerberg is worth

He knows there are a lot more Sheep than Bears 😉

Last edited:

I'm sure there are coats that I don't see but I still don't understand why it was achievable for a one-off game but it is not cost effective for a SC. Are they replacing the physical readers or updating the software? I don't know how much effort would be required to reactivate existing SCs but it was very quickly done for the cup game. I'm not buying a new phone so I can watch a football match. My existing phone does everything I want other than being NFC compatible. Why pressure people when they are already saying there will be an alternative? We are having the same debate as we had this time last year with the club using the same failed tactic as last year. They alienated a lot is supporters last year and seem intent on doing the same this year.

I'm sure there are coats that I don't see but I still don't understand why it was achievable for a one-off game but it is not cost effective for a SC. Are they replacing the physical readers or updating the software? I don't know how much effort would be required to reactivate existing SCs but it was very quickly done for the cup game. I'm not buying a new phone so I can watch a football match. My existing phone does everything I want other than being NFC compatible. Why pressure people when they are already saying there will be an alternative? We are having the same debate as we had this time last year with the club using the same failed tactic as last year. They alienated a lot is supporters last year and seem intent on doing the same this year.

they spent £100k+ on new turnstiles and a whole new system less than a year ago, and now the whole thing needs a software update?

Oh before Mr Bear/Sheep arrives to quote Data Protection Laws check how easy it is to opt out of having your data used for anything AND whether you have actually done this?

I know despite being quite religious about it, tapping all the boxes wears you down, most people cant be arsed and then it is kerching for the likes of Ticketmaster

Purveyors of our not fit for purpose online ticket office

Just remember when something is free YOU are the product

And then check how much Mr Zuckerberg is worth

He knows there are a lot more Sheep than Bears 😉
Indeed. They are not charities.

Tbf mate, it’s pretty straightforward to do it via the site.

I do think though that the club should offer a bit of a tutorial on how to do it

Didn’t they do this last season

Ahead of the new season, the Club will be producing a wealth of resources, including video tutorials and 'how to' guides, to ensure all are supported throughout the transition from physical season cards to digital season tickets. '

Last edited:
Didn’t they do this last season

Ahead of the new season, the Club will be producing a wealth of resources, including video tutorials and 'how to' guides, to ensure all are supported throughout the transition from physical season cards to digital season tickets. '
Think they mentioned something about having tutorial sessions in front of the TO. Never happened of course.

Last edited:
Think they mentioned something about having tutorial sessions in front of the TO. Never happened of course.

its mad that at no point did some one not say 'hang on a second, instead of wasting our time and their time with this nonsense, why don't we just give them a card?'

i've just had a good chat with the ticket office manager, nice bloke, confirmed that 'non-digital' season tickets will be available but couldn't confirm in what form they'd take as they are still in discussions with the technology people.

basically just said the cards cost a fortune for the club so they want as many people on digital as they can (i'm paraphrasing)

the cards that were rolled out last season were always going to be a one-season stop-gap . and the current system has loads of flaws with it, hence it needing re-booting at the end of the season meaning all current ST's both digital and physical will be wiped out.

its mad that at no point did some one not say 'hang on a second, instead of wasting our time and their time with this nonsense, why don't we just give them a card?'

i've just had a good chat with the ticket office manager, nice bloke, confirmed that 'non-digital' season tickets will be available but couldn't confirm in what form they'd take as they are still in discussions with the technology people.

basically just said the cards cost a fortune for the club so they want as many people on digital as they can (i'm paraphrasing)

the cards that were rolled out last season were always going to be a one-season stop-gap . and the current system has loads of flaws with it, hence it needing re-booting at the end of the season meaning all current ST's both digital and physical will be wiped out.
And these people are in charge of our club!

wouldn't surprise me if anyone who wants a non digital season ticket has to go to the ticket office before every home game and get a paper ticket printed out - probably at a cost on top of what you've already given them.

there was 11 of us went in the montgomery suite for the plymouth game where all tickets are digital and 4 of us had issues using our 'phones for access. for mine, nothing would work whether i had nfc on/off and it wouldn't read the qr code. in the end i was just waved through. it doesn't bode well for me to have a digital card given what happened. i've also noticed that the only folk whop have issues at the turnstile in front of us are those using 'phones. be it user error or another problem i don't know.

Back