Physical Season Cards

Just like last season, there will be a non digital ticket. The fact is though, the club don’t want people using cards anymore.

I think they will know that a chunk of the plastic card holders will now be more comfortable moving to digital, and they will wait until the emails land before confirming the plastic cards

Just like last season, there will be a non digital ticket. The fact is though, the club don’t want people using cards anymore.

I think they will know that a chunk of the plastic card holders will now be more comfortable moving to digital, and they will wait until the emails land before confirming the plastic cards

A lot will be comfortable using them it's the practicalities of giving card to someone else when not there

A lot will be comfortable using them it's the practicalities of giving card to someone else when not there

Tbf mate, it’s pretty straightforward to do it via the site.

I do think though that the club should offer a bit of a tutorial on how to do it

ah but that wouldn't fit in with the club's new environmentally friendly policy, first was cancelling everyone's season card, next was delivering them out. Much more sensible to make everyone drive to the stadium of light rather than use a delivery system that is already in place.

on second thoughts, maybe it was to save the price of a stamp
"We're going Digital because we want to go green"

Then make thousands of people travel 10s of thousands of miles to pick up their card.

Following season "right bin those plastic cards, and rinse and repeat"

Should have to make a statement admitting that they lied and the real reason behind it all was corporate greed. "Hi, I'm SAFC, and I'm Woke"

Tbf mate, it’s pretty straightforward to do it via the site.

I do think though that the club should offer a bit of a tutorial on how to do it

It's not when it involves kids, and older folk who don't have a smart phone.
And tbh, I've got a card, got the digital one for mags game & it didn't work so have little faith in the system as it is

Aye, any nominal cost should be the cost of production/ admin, and if they're looking at different options the cost should be one of the factors. They should set an upper limit (I'd suggest a fiver tbh, certainly no more than £10). If they decide they want some random option that costs a lot more then they should fund it themselves given there's no issue from a supporter perspective with a simple, cheap card
It's madness though, there already is an option - a card, and thousands of fans already have that card. They just need reactivating. Would be the easiest thing for the club and the fans.

Part of a " conversation" I have had with Robert Holmes .

" There is a number of technical reasons that mean we will need to reissue all season tickets for the new season, this is in part related to implementing of safe standing and some updates to our current technology, which is standard for a stadium such as ours. As I have mentioned, there will be non-digital options made available to anyone that requires alongside a digital season ticket. To reiterate what I have stated, we will support all fans with alternative options depending on the circumstances of the individual and that will happen between 7th May – 30th June. "

Robert

It's that "fact" that I have a problem with

They obviously don't want people using cards, but the reason for them wanting that is dodgy as fuck in my opinion
It’s unacceptable, but in the absence of any real evidence, I think dodgy is a bit strong. It’s money I’d assume. Everyone they don’t shift to digital costs them, for at least three reasons. First, it costs more to run two systems. Second, it costs more to run a physical system. Third, it’s not as monetisable in relation to the data it collects (one of the reasons why many of those who prefer not to switch do prefer it). They’re not doing it out of sheer bloody mindedness but to save/make money.

I E-mailed the ticket office as I have managed to renew my nephews ticket over the phone, but want a physical card for him for next season. I explained the reason was that although I can put his digital ticket on my phone as I did this year (he is under 14 so his phone has a restriction on which stops him using the Wallet on there as he is under 18), if I can’t attend, as was the case for the Swansea game, then we had a problem getting his ticket transferred to my brother so he could scan him in.
Therefore a physical card would be better.

Just received this response and I’m confused as I though that they were still doing physical cards next season for anyone who needed one ??

Unfortunately, we will not be doing physical cards next season, does he or any person he comes to the game with have a smart phone so he can go digital, we are asking people to do this. We will put his name on our list if not and someone will be in touch between the 3rd May and 30th June to tell them what we will be doing.

Kind Regards
You've got mixed principles if you ask me. You should have sent them a physical letter.

It’s unacceptable, but in the absence of any real evidence, I think dodgy is a bit strong. It’s money I’d assume. Everyone they don’t shift to digital costs them, for at least three reasons. First, it costs more to run two systems. Second, it costs more to run a physical system. Third, it’s not as monetisable in relation to the data it collects (one of the reasons why many of those who prefer not to switch do prefer it). They’re not doing it out of sheer bloody mindedness but to save/make money.

If that was the case, then just be honest about it & charge an admin fee, instead of all this cloak & dagger bullshit

Part of a " conversation" I have had with Robert Holmes .

" There is a number of technical reasons that mean we will need to reissue all season tickets for the new season, this is in part related to implementing of safe standing and some updates to our current technology, which is standard for a stadium such as ours. As I have mentioned, there will be non-digital options made available to anyone that requires alongside a digital season ticket. To reiterate what I have stated, we will support all fans with alternative options depending on the circumstances of the individual and that will happen between 7th May – 30th June. "

Robert
Sounds like a lie.

"We've updated our technology, which is standard for a stadium such as ours - you simpleton, therefore there is no way last year's QR code can possibly work".

If that was the case, then just be honest about it & charge an admin fee, instead of all this cloak & dagger bullshit
I suppose what I’m saying is that the because of the extra cost and hassle to them, they simply don’t want to do it. so they make it as hard as possible, even if there are options to do it relatively easily. I have repeatedly said that I think they should, but you don’t need a grand conspiracy to realise why they’d rather not.

I also suspect the issue with charging is that it is generally true that the real marginal cost to a business of running additional bespoke systems for a minority of its customers is usually a lot higher then those customers would imagine. I bet if they were to try to charge the real cost of running two parallel systems to season ticket holders the shit would be hitting the fan even more decisively.

I suppose what I’m saying is that the because of the extra cost and hassle to them, they simply don’t want to do it. so they make it as hard as possible, even if there are options to do it relatively easily. I have repeatedly said that I think they should, but you don’t need a grand conspiracy to realise why they’d rather not.

I also suspect the issue with charging is that it is generally true that the real marginal cost to a business of running additional bespoke systems for a minority of its customers is usually a lot higher then those customers would imagine. I bet if they were to try to charge the real cost of running two parallel systems to season ticket holders the shit would be hitting the fan even more decisively.
They only need to reactivate the cards from last season. Would cost them an extra 10p or something.
Certainly cheaper than having to go through all this hassle every fer months

So then they're clueless, it's all very well them not wanting a physical option but is it worth losing a couple of thousand season ticket holders because of it. I know some who jacked in last season because of it. I'm not sure it's really a bespoke separate system anyway, it's pretty much the same system with the QR code generated from said system printed on card. Then how much is it costing to deal with digital card issues with tickets? I had to make 2 visits for the mags game because they didnt turn up, which could've been avoided (which they let slip they knew there was a problem but did sod all about it). Then on the day it didnt work, so is it really that cost effective? For me the current system just isn't fit for purpose. Why not even just allow people to download the ticket to a pdf then can print out at home, laminate to create your own card?

I don't understand the notion of running two systems. The scanners currently recognise paper, plastic, QR codes and NFC. What about away supporters? I still use a phone without NFC and the club suddenly decided they could add tickets to my SC for the mags game after previously saying it couldn't be done for the Crewe game.

I don't understand the notion of running two systems. The scanners currently recognise paper, plastic, QR codes and NFC. What about away supporters? I still use a phone without NFC and the club suddenly decided they could add tickets to my SC for the mags game after previously saying it couldn't be done for the Crewe game.
Wasn’t implying they needed two readers. They obviously put the plastic system in place last year in a way that was compatible with the new readers. But there’s still two systems in that people are being provided with the ticket in two different ways. Which is bound to have a cost. In the case of the physical system, it is the effort of issuing them individually and probably in particular the staff time involved. They had 80% of the ticket office spend about a month last year just devoted to this issue alone. That has to have a cost.

Again, i strongly favour them both options for a reasonable length of time. But it’s naive to think it’s cost free. They’re trying to save money and in particular staff costs, just as they were when they moved from voucher books that required someone to physically take the voucher at each turnstile to plastic cards that didn’t

Back