Petition. Murton Cricket Club - help needed please.

Marcosplace

Striker
Can you all sign our petition please? Murton Cricket Club needs more say in the running of the building and ground. As we had sole control15 years ago. The local Parish Association has control right now of the cricket building ….. Not been operative for months.

I'm sure many of you played at Murton over the 80s, 90s and 00's. We were a PROPER CLUB.

But we have not been a top league club since we left our previous pavilion (not that winning totally matters). However our junior section is superb right now!

Please help, and encourage others to help Murton CC take back control.

Petition unterschreiben

My dad played for murton 2s in the early 90’s. Sad to see how far they’ve fallen.

Have signed and shared.
How did it get to this point?
It’s been like this since we had to leave the old pavilion. The new building was given to the Parish Council to oversee - but we haven’t been able to develop the cricket or the community side the way we would like.
Cheers for signing and I think I played with your Dad. We may have had this discussion before? RA?

Last edited:
Just signed, live away so didn't realise this was going on.
Used to love the Trophy in the old clubhouse. And watching The Don.
Can you all sign our petition please? Murton Cricket Club needs more say in the running of the building and ground. As we had sole control15 years ago. The local Parish Association has control right now of the cricket building ….. Not been operative for months.

I'm sure many of you played at Murton over the 80s, 90s and 00's. We were a PROPER CLUB.

But we have not been a top league club since we left our previous pavilion (not that winning totally matters). However our junior section is superb right now!

Please help, and encourage others to help Murton CC take back control.

Petition unterschreiben

I might know you, I'm known as The Bear, hence the username.
Mates with Tip, Dik etc

It’s been like this since we had to leave the old pavilion. The new building was given to the Parish Council to oversee - but we haven’t been able to develop the cricket or the community side the way we would like.
Cheers for signing and I think I played with your Dad. We may have had this discussion before? RA?
Yep that’s him. Did a bit of umpiring in the old Durham league. Now retired to Spain the lucky get.

hope you get back on your feet. Murton we’re a very strong side back in the day. Sad to see their demise.

Signed . Kids played in the coast league in the 90s . Always enjoyed Murton .
Do they not have the old pavillion with the balcony anymore ?
No the pavilion has gone - too much cost to update with h & s and diabled access etc.

And with it going - that is when the parish authorities over saw the usage of the new facility.

No the pavilion has gone - too much cost to update with h & s and diabled access etc.

And with it going - that is when the parish authorities over saw the usage of the new facility.
Do they open it for anything else? If it’s still closed where are people getting changed etc??

Signed and I hope you come through this.

I played against Murton in the mid-to-late 70s in the Coast League against Keith Chicken, Barry Whitmore and the like. Good club. Proper club.

Do they open it for anything else? If it’s still closed where are people getting changed etc??
A new building was built around 10 years ago. Bar and changing etc. But it was now a facility under the remit of the Parish Council and Welfare Assoc. Hence the cricket club committee had to take a back seat ...
Signed and I hope you come through this.

I played against Murton in the mid-to-late 70s in the Coast League against Keith Chicken, Barry Whitmore and the like. Good club. Proper club.
Thanks - Barry Whitmore drinks with my Dad - see him most Sundays working to the Village Inn.

I played 80s, 90's and most of the 00s. Cant remember Mt Chicken but I know of him!

Last edited:
A new building was built around 10 years ago. Bar and changing etc. But it was now a facility under the remit of the Parish Council and Welfare Assoc. Hence the cricket club committee had to take a back seat ...

Thanks - Barry Whitmore drinks with my Dad - see him most Sundays working to the Village Inn.

I played 80s, 90's and most of the 00s. Cant remember Mt Chicken but I know of him!
Used to love sitting on the balcony in the old pavilion, those stairs up were a death trap mind :lol::lol::lol:

Used to love sitting on the balcony in the old pavilion, those stairs up were a death trap mind :lol::lol::lol:
I know ! Part of the reason why a new building was needed! 😁
Signed and shared. I used to work with Howard Ramshaw is he still involved?
Howard doesn't really go over anymore … because of this problem. He finds it hard when the soul of the club has been lost a little from the 'old' days.

Last edited:
Played against Murton back in the Coast League days, with the old pavilion, steps and the brick scoreboard with the Doc Martin boot graffiti spray painted on the front.

Let's hope there is a quick resolution, so the club can get on with playing, developing interest and talent in the game, and being a cultural and social asset to the village.

I know ! Part of the reason why a new building was needed! 😁

Howard doesn't really go over anymore … because of this problem. He finds it hard when the soul of the club has been lost a little from the 'old' days.

H hasn't put a step inside the new pavilion since it opened. Said from Day 1 what would happen and has been proven right unfortunately. On a side note, I was due to have a few pints with him last weekend but he was a last minute cancellation so at least it saved my liver from taking a beating.

Back