Persistent calf problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had problems with my calfs, I've even bought some calf guards and the first time wearing them last night, pulled up half a mile from home on my run :evil:
Varies from tightness to an actual strain. I think I do sufficient warm ups, slow jogging, punctuated by static stretches for about 10 minutes. Anyone else have problems like this and how do you prevent it?

I've always had problems with my calfs, I've even bought some calf guards and the first time wearing them last night, pulled up half a mile from home on my run :evil:
Varies from tightness to an actual strain. I think I do sufficient warm ups, slow jogging, punctuated by static stretches for about 10 minutes. Anyone else have problems like this and how do you prevent it?

Every time I run my left calf gives me issues. It's driving me insane, but I find that I can control the pain until I stop. When I do stop I cannot start again though, the pain can be that bad. It's like a cramp almost but there is no tightness.

Mine started when I was running down some steps and has never recovered. Considering going to see a physio.

Think it might be something to do with my posture. I'm not that flexible, can't touch my toes on my left side. It's all interconnected, so I suspect I may need to find a way of loosening up my core. It's really frustrating as I feel I could be an ok runner otherwise :evil:

ive had issues with my lower leg for about 4 mths and i wish i had got it sorted earlier. The calf area is made up of a lot of muscles and tendons and its really important to identify what the problem is as the treatment can vary greatly depending on what is wrong. What you think is a simple calf strain could actually be owt as general lower leg biomechanics are pretty complicated and in many cases inter dependant. Best get along to a physio mate - won't cost you too much for a couple of visits and at least that way you will find out whats up and what, if anything, you can do about it. If you keep running on it you might end up being layed up for months rather than days if you get it sorted now.

you can self refer for a nhs physio, it might take a bit time so private might be best if you need it looking at quick.

I had calf problems for about 6 months last year. Run one day, pain for another 3-4. Was hopeless, but kept running once a week and it never healed properly.

Finally I rested from running, did other exercise and stretching, and then slowly built it up again by going running but nowhere close to flat out for a month or so.

No problems since.

Of course the answer depends on the person and exact issue, but I think a lot of calf problems are worsened because you can just about run through it, and therefore you never give it chance to heal properly.

I had calf problems for about 6 months last year. Run one day, pain for another 3-4. Was hopeless, but kept running once a week and it never healed properly.

Finally I rested from running, did other exercise and stretching, and then slowly built it up again by going running but nowhere close to flat out for a month or so.

No problems since.

Of course the answer depends on the person and exact issue, but I think a lot of calf problems are worsened because you can just about run through it, and therefore you never give it chance to heal properly.
Spot on answer. You must rest the muscle sufficiently, if it's a tear even a slight one it will worsen.

Don't make the mistake I did and leave it without treatment. I ended up sub consciously compensating weight on my other leg and this lead to Achilles and calf problems on my other leg.

I ended up doing the bike for a month, it now feels much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back