People you grew up with as kid.

Stato

Full Back
Bumped into a lad I grew up with today who I had not seen for over 15 years.

Sad to say he wasn’t in good Nick,this being down to drugs abuse and when growing up he was always well presented and looked after himslef in gym ect.(I did hear he had a few break up problems around 10 year ago)

Got me thinking about lads I grew up with in 80s and 90s and what there doing now

Some have gone onto to be successful in work and life.

Some are locked up doing big stretches.

Some are full blown Piss heads.

Some are dead.

Got me really thinking how certain things can happen to you in life that totally changes the path you go down and it’s worried me today looking back at the group we grew up in (around 12/15 lads)
who went through school to early drinking days and playing local footy ect then you loose touch with some and move on in life.

As good as life can be it can also be scary and your probs only one silly mistake aways from changing things.

Fine margins I think can determine your life. Most the lads I used to knock about with and go to raves with are either dead or still doing it now and they look about 30 years older than they are. They’ll most likely be dead in 5/10 year. I knew when to call it a day and I’m glad I did.

Fine margins I think can determine your life. Most the lads I used to knock about with and go to raves with are either dead or still doing it now and they look about 30 years older than they are. They’ll most likely be dead in 5/10 year. I knew when to call it a day and I’m glad I did.
Yeah I agree I pulled our around 96 and looking at some of them now it was one of my better choices in life.

It’s mad how some of them just don’t see the light

Sliding Doors moments.

I remember going home from uni one year and arranging to go for a pint with someone I grew up with. Played on the streets when we were kids.
Even went to the same college.
I went back having actually spent time out of our home town area and experience a bit of the world.
Talking to him in the pub was like talking to someone from a past life.
Sad in a way, but he seemed to be happy what he was doing. It just struck me how suddenly we had virtually nothing in common.

Bumped into a lad I grew up with today who I had not seen for over 15 years.

Sad to say he wasn’t in good Nick,this being down to drugs abuse and when growing up he was always well presented and looked after himslef in gym ect.(I did hear he had a few break up problems around 10 year ago)

Got me thinking about lads I grew up with in 80s and 90s and what there doing now

Some have gone onto to be successful in work and life.

Some are locked up doing big stretches.

Some are full blown Piss heads.

Some are dead.

Got me really thinking how certain things can happen to you in life that totally changes the path you go down and it’s worried me today looking back at the group we grew up in (around 12/15 lads)
who went through school to early drinking days and playing local footy ect then you loose touch with some and move on in life.

As good as life can be it can also be scary and your probs only one silly mistake aways from changing things.

Only takes one bad decision mate.
I do enjoy bumping into old friends and reminiscing.
Lost a few on the way 😢

I’m still in touch with most of the lads i grew up with..all seem to be doing ok..not so much the lads i went to comprehensive school with..been a few sadly passed..drug and alcohol abuse..not surprised by a few of them like.

I’m still in touch with most of the lads i grew up with..all seem to be doing ok..not so much the lads i went to comprehensive school with..been a few sadly passed..drug and alcohol abuse..not surprised by a few of them like.

same here, no real tragedies that i am aware of.

I've got a group of mates from when I was mid to late teens, I see them now and then. With some of them it is like no time has passed but we're not particularly close any more which is a shame.

There was a lad I knew from being young and we were good mates as kids but I stopped knocking about with him as we got older. Last I saw he was in the paper for stabbing someone. One lad who used to give me hassle at school I saw while I was visiting a relative's grave. Well, I saw his headstone a few plots over. No surprise the way his life went.

I’m 66yo and go out for a pint with a couple of nights a week with a lad I started school with as a 5yo.
There’s also three on here who were in my class when we left school in 1974.
Still see my Junior school teacher in the Steamboat in Shields enjoying a beer.

Of the mates I've had over the years, including school friends, cancer has taken a handful. Alcohol has killed at least two that I know of. One poor lad died while watching Match of the Day a few years back. His wife found him in his armchair.

My core of mates are from school and still see them to this day. But there's a few that I've knocked about with at different times that are wrongins or dead so who knows what would have happened if i stayed in those circles. Lasses are funny ones, some of the stunning lasses are now gannys and some are smack heads

Last edited:
Growing up in Roker and still see a lot of the lads , but a high percentage succumbed to the drink and have sadly died over the years

Of the mates I've had over the years, including school friends, cancer has taken a handful. Alcohol has killed at least two that I know of. One poor lad died while watching Match of the Day a few years back. His wife found him in his armchair.

I know someone who’s husband asked her to put the kettle on for a cup of tea , when she took the cuppa in , same thing he’d passed away.

A massive shock at the time but in the scale of things probably the best way to go.

Got a good group of around 6-7 really good mates, one gets on here....

Known them all since around 16, some from school and one from when I was 4 years old....all good lads....

Back