Pensions and that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you worked in the public sector? In which case its a no brainer to join the pension scheme

I do

What kind of ISA? Help to buy or lifetime ISA's are worth looking at. As well as your usual interest the government adds 25% of what you put in each month but you can only put in £200 each month.

Worth starting early if you ever plan on buying a house.

@Shirley Shammel is an IFA and an MLF

Not sure...lifetime I think?

What kind of ISA? Help to buy or lifetime ISA's are worth looking at. As well as your usual interest the government adds 25% of what you put in each month but you can only put in £200 each month.

Worth starting early if you ever plan on buying a house.

@Shirley Shammel is an IFA and an MLF

You can stick as much as you like in the Lifetime Isa but government only give you bonus against £4,000.
Rather than sticking it in £200 a time, you can lump sum it.

Also you can invest in stocks, shares, funds & bonds with the right provider.

I know bot all about most things but pensions especially

Hypothetically speaking if I had a two year contract with an employer and was earning enough to make pension contributions, would it be worth it if I'm only there two years or would it be better to put that money into something else

As stated, I know nowt about pensions...

I've paid into one since 1995. A good chunk of my wage has went in since day one, well over 10%

It was going to be canny till the f***ing tories raped my old aged arse with a cactus. Didn't even have the decency to lube me up....

Last edited:
You can stick as much as you like in the Lifetime Isa but government only give you bonus against £4,000.
Rather than sticking it in £200 a time, you can lump sum it.

Also you can invest in stocks, shares, funds & bonds with the right provider.

Sorry, it's the help to buy isa that is capped at £200 per month.

I've recently cancelled my pension. Wish I was still contributing but the wife is on maternity so can't really afford it.

A lad on my course who's protected due to his age when he joined will get about a 90 odd grand lumper and 14 grand a year after the original designated time. I'll get 11 grand a year with no lumper at the same stage.

Oooof
Still canny once you add the state pension, and then maybe a partners pension on top of that. More than enough for me anyway.

Still canny once you add the state pension, and then maybe a partners pension on top of that. More than enough for me anyway.

We don't do normal graft though squire. We were meant to retire early.

The odds of remaining fit enough to do my job until 60 is canny remote never mind 68...

In 10 years time the youngest lad on our watch will be 50, everyone else bar one* will be under retirement age.

* lucky fuck old enough to get the pension promised on day one...

The combined age on the truck will be 260 plus..

We'll be expected to turn up to an incident like grenfell tower and perform.

Don't worry though, most of us will have been sacked by then.

Peddled on capability due to failed medicals and the 400 quid a month we've paid in for decades frozen till 68.

We might get a year or two if we're lucky before we pop our clogs due to the shit we breathed in.

Sweet...

Last edited:
I'm sticking 7 percent in and my employer is matching that.

I think of it as free money if you're employer matches your contributions.

I'm aiming to retire age 60 at the very latest.

I've just joined the company pension at work and currently putting around 10% of my yearly earnings in and my employers match it up to 6%.

My plan is to just keep on putting as much money as I can into it and see how much I can end up with.

At around 60 I don't expect to have enough for a decent annuity, so I'm hoping I will be able to stretch my pot enough for a livable wage at least until my state pension comes in (This is assuming I will get one as I'm only 25 at the moment. If not my plans fucked)

Aiming to have house paid off by then so probably try downsize and have a bit extra left over to go towards the pot.

Our Lass(No) should have a better pot than me as well to add on so we should be fine if all goes to plan.

Possibly going to start one of them lifetime ISA's at some point too but I'm not in any rush at the moment.

The odds of remaining fit enough to do my job until 60 is canny remote never mind 68...

In 10 years time the youngest lad on our watch will be 50, everyone else bar one* will be under retirement age.

Peddled on capability due to failed medicals and the 400 quid a month we've paid in for decades frozen till 68.

We might get a year or two if we're lucky before we pop our clogs due to the shit we breathed in.

Sweet...
They should have honoured what they sold you and put the new one in place for new starters. They mis sold it really.

Sweet...

I'm affected by the pension changes (the wife, no) as well and agree it's a fucker as I believe you should get what you signed up for when you put your life on the line every day.

Something had to be done though as the pensions weren't sustainable but you're right, people won't be able to do their jobs at the kind of ages people will have to work too.

Nee offence mate but i don't want you pitching up when you're 60 trying to lift me over your shoulder .... I'll put your back out !!

They should have honoured what they sold you and put the new one in place for new starters. They mis sold it really.

They have. But they fcuked the ones in the middle. If you have plus x years you were protected, if you were new you're on a new scheme and those in the middle they muddled around for a few years and then give you a hybrid of both. Could well be a case of miss selling. I'm sure however some legal firm somewhere will have looked into it.

Last edited:
I'm affected by the pension changes (the wife, no) as well and agree it's a fucker as I believe you should get what you signed up for when you put your life on the line every day.

Something had to be done though as the pensions weren't sustainable but you're right, people won't be able to do their jobs at the kind of ages people will have to work too.

Nee offence mate but i don't want you pitching up when you're 60 trying to lift me over your shoulder .... I'll put your back out !!

They have. But they fcuked the ones in the middle. If you have plus x years you were protected, if you were new you're on a new scheme and those in the middle they muddled around for a few years and then give you a hybrid of both. Could well be a case of miss selling. I'm sure however some legal firm somewhere will have looked into it.
Im on a similar scheme but luckily Im now in receipt of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back