PAYE question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope someone can help please . I haven’t worked or earned in 2020/21. I’ll be starting mid September . How does it works in terms of basic rate allowance and also higher rate liability? Do you get the full allowance ? Will I be taxed at the higher rate as my salary is in that band but my earnings this year won’t be ?

Will I need to speak to HMRC ?

Should get your full allowance. Employer will probably give you an 'emergency code' on first pay then when HMRC send code you'll get all unused allowance up to whatever pay period it's used.

Should get your full allowance. Employer will probably give you an 'emergency code' on first pay then when HMRC send code you'll get all unused allowance up to whatever pay period it's used.
I was thinking how to word it, but this....

You'll get the full allowance.
Usually your allowance is spread over the year, 1 12th each pay day is your tax free amount. But yours would be spread over 6 or 7 depending upon how many pay days you'll have.
Shouldn't need to contact hmrc

Work should give you a p46 to complete, tick the box that says you have not had a job in this tax year and you should be taxed correctly.

Hope someone can help please . I haven’t worked or earned in 2020/21. I’ll be starting mid September . How does it works in terms of basic rate allowance and also higher rate liability? Do you get the full allowance ? Will I be taxed at the higher rate as my salary is in that band but my earnings this year won’t be ?

Will I need to speak to HMRC ?

You will get your full pa assuming you arnt earning over 100k?

What will likely happen is that you will be put on a standard 1250L which will pro rata your personal allowance evenly over 12 months. as you won't have worked for 12 months you will likely be liable for a tax rebate come next April.

Unless hmrcs systems have become Uber efficient since making tax digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back