Parity in pay in tennis

Kid Galahad

Striker
How is this allowed to happen in this day and age? Sexism gone mad and even the most fervent feminist can't argue for it imo, or can they?

I'm unsure where I stand on the issue in tennis to be honest.

I certainly think that both sexes should play 3 sets or both should play 5
I'm not convinced that I'm comfortable with the idea that the world's number 200 (or whatever) player should earn the same as the world's number 1, and more than numbers 2-199, just because she's a woman
But, I also think women's tennis is much more entertaining than the men's, which, to me, (and I'm no expert on tennis) seems largely all about power rather than finesse; and I'd be more inclined to pay to watch a woman's tournament than a man's (and no, not just because they're fit lasses in short skirts)

It's Comical that womenshould get same prize money.

If it's all about equality just have the one tournament 3 set matches. See how many women reach the final then

I'll never earn anything like that so I don't particularly give a fuck. Should probably all play the same number of sets though. They do in pretty much everything but the grand slams.

But, I also think women's tennis is much more entertaining than the men's, which, to me, (and I'm no expert on tennis) seems largely all about power rather than finesse
I don't know how anybody can watch Roger Federer play like that, at 38, and claim the men's game is just power without much finesse. There have been and currently are, plenty more powerful players than Federer - including his opponent today.

'Power without much finesse' is virtually a dictionary description of Serena Williams, and she's won almost all of the last 567 women's titles. She's a magnificent player in the women's game, and you rarely see much deftness from her. She hits double faults and wild, unforced errors all over the place, and she's pretty immobile. She's just much more powerful than everybody else, and has a champion's mentality.

Last edited:
Bat n ball, they should all get a tanner each for turning up. Shit pastime for the chattering classes, or the wannabes.

Last edited:
Take 'women's' and 'men's' out of all sports and remove all drug restrictions. Let the fuckers get on with it. Brock Lesnar v Rhonda Rousey, Djokovic v Williams etc. Equality in action. See how the women's world cup winning team do against a men's team. You want the same pay? Compete on the same stage.

I don't know how anybody can watch Roger Federer play like that, at 38, and claim the men's game is just power without much finesse. There have been and currently are, plenty more powerful players than Federer - including his opponent today.

'Power without much finesse' is virtually a dictionary description of Serena Williams, and she's won almost all of the last 567 women's titles. She's a magnificent player in the women's game, and you rarely see much deftness from her. She hits double faults and wild, unforced errors all over the place, and she's pretty immobile. She's just much more powerful than everybody else, and has a champion's mentality.
I must admit, I almost added an "except for Serena" caveat.

She's one of the greatest female returners of all time. She creates angles on a grass court that no female (and to a degree, most male players) can even dream of playing on a clay court. To do those things with just solely power is impossible. The women's game lacks a lot of variety at the minute and a lot of it is purely power based, Serena is not one of those players.

Her main attribute is power but to say she has no finesse is wildly incorrect. Funnily enough her forehand that generates more power and pace than anything else, has gone to absolute shit these days.

It's a bit shan saying that we should lump all athletes in together given that men have vast physical advantages over women.

Just make sure they're playing the same amount of sets, i.e. doing the same amount of work and let them crack on.

Transgender men/women are now decimating the womens game in a lot of sports, no way should they be allowed to compete IMHO but it's given the liberals a right conundrum, fun to watch it unfold

Back