Panesar - Form is Temporary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very good bowler as is Swann. In England, Swann will always get the nod because of his batting and fielding. If we had a genuine all rounder we could play both at all times IMO

where would borthwick fit in?

Think he's quite a way off Test cricket. His 6 for last week will have done no harm for his cause but I think the lack of control means he wont get in ahead of either Swann or Panesar (and maybe even a couple of other contenders) for a while

I know you're looking for bites like, but I'll indulge you.....

Swann has a better average over more Test matches, which makes him the class act of the two.

poor old Monty gets called into the test side after we go 1-0 down evertyime in the sub continent and outbowls Swann in every game

Embarassing some of the shite posted on here about Swann not so long ago

England would never have the best spinner in the world playing county cricket for 10 years before being given a proper run in the test side

poor old Monty gets called into the test side after we go 1-0 down evertyime in the sub continent and outbowls Swann in every game

Embarassing some of the shite posted on here about Swann not so long ago

England would never have the best spinner in the world playing county cricket for 10 years before being given a proper run in the test side

So you're saying Monty gets most of his wickets on the most spin friendly pitches in the world while Swann has to toil away on the seam friendly tracks we produce, and yet still has the better record....?

So you're saying Monty gets most of his wickets on the most spin friendly pitches in the world while Swann has to toil away on the seam friendly tracks we produce, and yet still has the better record....?

Which is the point Botham was making in commentary about whether he would fit into the England side in England.

I hate it when EB goes on like an arse. Its a waste of a decent cricket brain. Graeme Swann is an excellent bowler who plays half of his test matches on what EB would like to describe as 'green tops in England' has a superb record all things considered. Historcally Monty has bowled really well on pitches with bounce and often not so well when conditions arent in in his favour. Monty is bowling great at the moment but interestingly Swann has actually the better average in this series with more wickets and most economical.

They both deserve huge credit.

I hate it when EB goes on like an arse. Its a waste of a decent cricket brain. Graeme Swann is an excellent bowler who plays half of his test matches on what EB would like to describe as 'green tops in England' has a superb record all things considered. Historcally Monty has bowled really well on pitches with bounce and often not so well when conditions arent in in his favour. Monty is bowling great at the moment but interestingly Swann has actually the better average in this series with more wickets and most economical.

Incorrect in 2 out of 3 cases but there's not a lot in it.

Swann combined series figures -

124.5 - 23 - 349 - 15

Average - 23.27
Economy - 2.78

Panesar combined series figures -

104 - 27 - 284 - 13

Average - 21.85
Economy - 2.73

I think the bottom line is we have two very good spinners and we should be happy about that; they are giving us our best chance to win a test series in India for a long time.

To be honest I think Swann is the better bowler when performances in all conditions are taken into account (as they must be). Even if you say their bowling is on a par - you have to pick Swann ahead of him for the possibility of lower order runs and - crucially- his catching.

The importance of a good pair of hands in the slips cannot be underestimated. You've got more chance of planting fog than you have of seeing Panesar take a sharp low catch like the one Swann took at second slip today.

Incorrect in 2 out of 3 cases but there's not a lot in it.

Swann combined series figures -

124.5 - 23 - 349 - 15

Average - 23.27
Economy - 2.78

Panesar combined series figures -

104 - 27 - 284 - 13

Average - 21.85
Economy - 2.73

I think the bottom line is we have two very good spinners and we should be happy about that; they are giving us our best chance to win a test series in India for a long time.

All 3 were better prior to this test match. Wickets of course should have been having played 2 tests to one but Swann's average over and economy rate were better over two tests than Monty's terrific performance in Mumbai. Its hardly evidence of Panesar completely outbowling Swann - both have been superb and Swann has an excellent test match record given that he often has to bowl on surfaces that offer him nothing at all.

I'm not sure what the OP is getting at Swann has been a tremendous test match player for England and Monty when called upon does a great job usually in helpful conditions. I must say Monty is like poetry in motion at the moment - great to watch.

Great post. Especially lines 1 and 2

On a completely different subject, great to see Jimmy Anderson once again cause problems. Someone was saying nobody's got Tendulkar out more times than him. I guess he hits form every now and then.

On a completely different subject, great to see Jimmy Anderson once again cause problems. Someone was saying nobody's got Tendulkar out more times than him. I guess he hits form every now and then.

Thats true - Anderson and Murali have got him out 8 times I think.

Monty has bowled beautifully but its clear that Swann is a much more rounded bowler in a variety of conditions.

Agree that Monty is probably more of a threat on the subcontinent which works very nicely in that both can play, but in a home series Swann gets the nod every time for me.

werent so long ago we have the worlds best spinner and one who bowls the same ball every game

how times change

Theres something in that of course. Monty bowls pretty quickly and it has been his inability to vary his pace and delivery that has meant he has struggled on many surfaces and not been able to nail down a test spot. He didnt need to vary much at Mumbai - he bowled his natural pace all game which was quicker than any other spin bowler and he got more purchase and more bounce. He is a superb bowler on pitches with bounce as he has shown at OT where his figures are just phenomenal and also at perth where he has bowled well in the past.

Monty has bowled beautifully but its clear that Swann is a much more rounded bowler in a variety of conditions.

Agree that Monty is probably more of a threat on the subcontinent which works very nicely in that both can play, but in a home series Swann gets the nod every time for me.

on the basis he never gets a sniff in home test matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back