Pages of the Sea

I was a little surprised that there wasn't already a thread about it, especially as a great deal of attention seems to be given to Armistice Day now and it being the hundredth anniversary.
There was something about this on the news on TV, last week, I think.

I think it's a cracking idea. Who doesn't like drawing in the sand?

Plus that site links to a page with images of those who served, whose picture you can click on, and say a goodbye to.

Find someone and make your goodbye personal - Pages of the Sea

Got a bit of a jump in my throat when I clicked on one.

Only 3 weeks till the 100th anniversary. Doesn't seem to be much publicity in general.

Good idea this though.
On a similar theme, there's a writing/reading workshop related to writings from soldiers.
Cultural Spring

I think there's a lot going on but maybe a lot of it gets lost as they are very similar themes and one 'poppy' event looks like another.
I do think there is stuff mentioned on the news regularly, both locally and nationally, but the nature of war means there is an anniversary of a significant event almost every day and people switch off.

looks great this, never heard of it until this morning.

going to head over instead of going to the one in town. hopefully there is a good turn out. Sunderland has been pretty good at putting these things on over the last few years
That's interesting. I must have seen it mentioned hundreds of times but it will be because of who I follow on social media. It has been on TV, radio and in the papers but there is clearly a gap where people who would be interested in such things aren't getting to hear about it.
I guess you can't capture everyone and I know from my own experience that leafletting and brochures etc are costly with little return on investment.
I'm not involved in this but if you have any suggestions, I'd be interested because I'll have things in the future that will need to reach as wide an audience as possible.

looks great this, never heard of it until this morning.

going to head over instead of going to the one in town. hopefully there is a good turn out. Sunderland has been pretty good at putting these things on over the last few years

You should do both mate, it will be sad if the numbers for the parade diminish because of this.
I’m in the parade, quick pint in the Avenue then down to Roker to see the beach stuff then quick change at hame then pub for the lads match.

You should do both mate, it will be sad if the numbers for the parade diminish because of this.
I’m in the parade, quick pint in the Avenue then down to Roker to see the beach stuff then quick change at hame then pub for the lads match.

probably will be around as will walk over roker from grangetown so will naturally go past the parade, but to be hones this thing over Roker looks more like a day out. quite looking forward to it as will watch the match over there too. hopefully the weather is nice

That's interesting. I must have seen it mentioned hundreds of times but it will be because of who I follow on social media. It has been on TV, radio and in the papers but there is clearly a gap where people who would be interested in such things aren't getting to hear about it.
I guess you can't capture everyone and I know from my own experience that leafletting and brochures etc are costly with little return on investment.
I'm not involved in this but if you have any suggestions, I'd be interested because I'll have things in the future that will need to reach as wide an audience as possible.

probably just unfortunate to be honest, as i follow quite a few pages and people on FB who share all of these types of things, as i usually share these events even though i don't go to half of them. guess i just missed the thread on here about it, but saw someone post a video on FB this morning. i barely watch TV and never listen to local radio or read papers tbh.

i'd love to know the answer, or present a brilliant idea, but i don't really know how to reach more people. just got to keep grinding away on social media

Last edited:
That's my plan. Hopefully Roker will be finished by 1.30 ish.

Heard last night that WW1 actually ended on 8th November but some in the British Army felt that the Germans hadnt suffered enough so fought on for another 3 days.
In that time another 6500 British soldiers died.

Back