Overrated classic films from youth

It’s an over stylised film with little depth to the plot and little character development . It’s story more like an American western where the lawman goes to enact justice on the bad guy rather than a story about the Vietnam war. The gratuitous killing of the water buffalo did little to the plot either.
The film starts off good and has important references to the horrors of the conflict but then it just peters-out to an un exciting conclusion
It isn't intended to be a story about the Vietnam war. It is about the "horror" of war and how not all casualties are physical.

The water buffalo was already going to be slaughtered by the real indigenous tribe so was not gratuitous in reality and in the construct of the film provides an Homeric perspective on the need for killing.

It isn't intended to be a story about the Vietnam war. It is about the "horror" of war and how not all casualties are physical.

The water buffalo was already going to be slaughtered by the real indigenous tribe so was not gratuitous in reality and in the construct of the film provides an Homeric perspective on the need for killing.

The original story was actually intended for an African story about the Congo.
Not the Vietnam war. It was an adaptation. There’s little military exchange between American forces and the Vietcong, except for the occasional token gunfire. It’s basically a plot about assassination of a special forces soldier played by an overweight Marlon Brando

One of the best films ever made man. Watched it on film 4 a couple of weeks a go. I’d go as far as to say it’s iconic.
I tried to watch it a couple of weeks ago. It was on for hours and nothing happened apart from some lights.

Nee green men, nee abductions, nee kinky experiments nowt.

I tried to watch it a couple of weeks ago. It was on for hours and nothing happened apart from some lights.

Nee green men, nee abductions, nee kinky experiments nowt.
Ehhhrm, there are loads of abductions like Jeff. Including that scary scene where the young lad gets taken from his mams house. You do see the aliens at the end when they come down and say hello.

Fair enough no experiments, but you can hoy on Fire in the Sky afterwards and watch somebody get their eye prodded with a needle all day if that where you get your kicks.

The thing about Star Wars was that in 1977 the special effects & the make up of the alien characters were very impresssive and on the release of the film people were really taken by that. Its what most audiences went to see. The plot itself was very basic and the story could be set as a Western or Knights in Armour or in most other time periods and situations that you care to think of.

With however the passage of years (almost 50 now) we have had the advent of computer generate special effects in films making Star Wars look rather ordinary . That in turn has exposed its rather weak story line. I think though that had it not been for the success of Star Wars the big film studios would not have invested in the development of special effects in the way in which they done.

Last edited:
Ehhhrm, there are loads of abductions like Jeff. Including that scary scene where the young lad gets taken from his mams house. You do see the aliens at the end when they come down and say hello.

Fair enough no experiments, but you can hoy on Fire in the Sky afterwards and watch somebody get their eye prodded with a needle all day if that where you get your kicks.
Fair enough I only watched the first bit where Matt hooper got rattled in his car.

There were no sharks so I turned it off.

The original story was actually intended for an African story about the Congo.
Not the Vietnam war. It was an adaptation. There’s little military exchange between American forces and the Vietcong, except for the occasional token gunfire. It’s basically a plot about assassination of a special forces soldier played by an overweight Marlon Brando
It was based on heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad iirc.

Stand By Me was on Film 4 last night and whilst I didn't watch the whole thing, the acting was terrible in the parts I did catch.

It’s an over stylised film with little depth to the plot and little character development . It’s story more like an American western where the lawman goes to enact justice on the bad guy rather than a story about the Vietnam war. The gratuitous killing of the water buffalo did little to the plot either.
The film starts off good and has important references to the horrors of the conflict but then it just peters-out to an un exciting conclusion
Waddyamean “about” the Vietnam War? It’s not a documentary. It’s a fictitious tale based on a work of fiction by a Polish gadgy that was published in 1899!

Another shit take brilliant film, iconic.
Behave. Jimmy is the biggest snowflake ever. Ohh youre a bellboy oh no, oh youre a rocker oh no, oh youre banging a lass i fancy oh no, oh no you expect me to earn my wages oh no. They should have made Carver fron the Bill the top boy. Jimmy is a whiny wee prick

The soundtrack however is incredible

Behave. Jimmy is the biggest snowflake ever. Ohh youre a bellboy oh no, oh youre a rocker, oh youre banging a lass i fancy oh no, oh no you expect me to earn my wages oh no. They should have made Carver fron the Bill the top boy. Jimmy is a whiny wee prick

The soundtrack however is incredible
Insight into a teenage mind struggling with life and identity.

Back