Opening .MAX files

PinzaC55

Striker
I recently threw out a load of CD ROMs and DVDS and found one CD with a note that it contains 77 photos of mine in 2004. However the photos are in .MAX format and when I looked this up it seems that I needed 7-Zip to open them. I've installed 7-Zip but when I try to open the files an apparently empty window opens on my monitor and disappears almost instantly. What am I doing wrong ?

I recently threw out a load of CD ROMs and DVDS and found one CD with a note that it contains 77 photos of mine in 2004. However the photos are in .MAX format and when I looked this up it seems that I needed 7-Zip to open them. I've installed 7-Zip but when I try to open the files an apparently empty window opens on my monitor and disappears almost instantly. What am I doing wrong ?

They're 3DS Max files, you'll need 3DS Max to open them as far as I'm aware and it isn't cheap either as an understatement. There is a free viewer online from Autodesk though (who make it), but unsure whether it supports those files.

They're 3DS Max files, you'll need 3DS Max to open them as far as I'm aware and it isn't cheap either as an understatement. There is a free viewer online from Autodesk though (who make it), but unsure whether it supports those files.

OK but I don't know why they would be 3DS Max files as it was 2004 and I still had a fairly basic computer then.

OK but I don't know why they would be 3DS Max files as it was 2004 and I still had a fairly basic computer then.

Actually just had another look to see if there was anything else and it appears they're actually Paperport files instead. I'm used to the 3D files but doesn't make much sense unless you've been doing editing. There's a viewer you can download but it was designed for Windows 95 so whether it works I'm unsure.

Appears they've been completely obsolete from 2013 pretty much.

Can't help much more as honestly, I've never heard of it until about 10 minutes ago.

Last edited:
Actually just had another look to see if there was anything else and it appears they're actually Paperport files instead. I'm used to the 3D files but doesn't make much sense unless you've been doing editing. There's a viewer you can download but it was designed for Windows 95 so whether it works I'm unsure.

Appears they've been completely obsolete from 2013 pretty much.

Can't help much more as honestly, I've never heard of it until about 10 minutes ago.

When I was chucking the CDs out a few of them were those free trials you used to get with computer mags back then. Maybe I got it off one of them.

When I was chucking the CDs out a few of them were those free trials you used to get with computer mags back then. Maybe I got it off one of them.

I think it's from a scanner, if I'm right. Some old random file type they've made, no doubt to force you to pay for their software. Obviously would never get away with that nowadays though since everything is PDF.

Back