Only god has the right

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought that too. Sometimes the decision needs to be taken out of the parents hands, when the parent demonstrates to medical professionals they can’t make an informed judgement.
As cold and uncaring as it sounds I can`t see how a parent can make an objective decision in those circumstances

Not to sound like a **** but isn't it intense medical intervention that's keeping him alive right now rather than god?

I find it really easy to sneer at parents in cases like this, fuck knows how I would react in a similar situation. My heart goes out to them, it just an awful case for all involved.

I thought that too. Sometimes the decision needs to be taken out of the parents hands, when the parent demonstrates to medical professionals they can’t make an informed judgement.
How are they not making an informed decision? I do agree it should be taken put of parents hands but medical professionals also. I think id say anything to anyone if I was in their situation and believed keeping my child alive was in his/her best interests.

I’ve got every sympathy, and please don’t think I’m harsh, I fully understand why parents would want to cling to any hole, but is it in his best interests if he’s suffering, and being told there is no hope.
When me niece was in neo-natal we knew she wasn’t going to make it, the doctors wanted to give it another day, they were brilliant and because we’d lost me sister wanted to do absolutely everything they could.
But me mam told them “you promised you wouldn’t do this, you promised if she was suffering you’d not let it go on”
They switched off her machine, heartbreaking though it was it was a decision that had to be made for her, not for us. :cry:

How are they not making an informed decision? I do agree it should be taken put of parents hands but medical professionals also. I think id say anything to anyone if I was in their situation and believed keeping my child alive was in his/her best interests.

Making a decision on what course of action is in the patient’s best interest, on the basis of religion is not informed IMO.

They may truly believe it is in the child’s best interests but the child is profoundly disabled, in pain, and cannot breathe without a machine doing it for them.

That is no quality of life by anyone’s standard.

Nightmare story, but I'd hope I'd let the kid go if it was mine, profoundly disabled, can't breathe independently, keeping him alive seems a little selfish by the parents if I'm honest

This, I just couldn’t find a way of saying it, but it seems selfish

Making a decision on what course of action is in the patient’s best interest, on the basis of religion is not informed IMO.

They may truly believe it is in the child’s best interests but the child is profoundly disabled, in pain, and cannot breathe without a machine doing it for them.

It's still an informed decision based on their experiences, views etc though. It might not the right one but equally the medical professionals decision might not be either. The parents might truly believe any quality of life, however limited, is better than no life. It sounds like a nightmare situation for both medical professionals and parents.

Nee way of saying, and not coming across as a twat, but at the end of the day the kids quality of life has to take precedence over people's feelings. The poor kid will most likely die, what's the point in prolonging the little lads suffering, but I suppose people have different reactions and grab onto any forlorn hope even though I suspect deep down they know it's maybe not the right choice.

I think Janey summed it up pretty well with her real life experience and making the shit choice for the benefit of the kid.

@janey, I'd have liked your post but it's one of them awkward posts where never sure whether to like or not if you know what I mean :(

It's still an informed decision based on their experiences, views etc though. It might not the right one but equally the medical professionals decision might not be either. The parents might truly believe any quality of life, however limited, is better than no life. It sounds like a nightmare situation for both medical professionals and parents.

An informed decision is a decision taken in full appreciation of the evidence. You don’t have to take the evidence-based route, but likewise if you have total misinformation ruling your judgment I cannot see how this is an informed choice.

A patient who chooses to go without cancer therapy in full appreciation of the evidence of the costs and benefits is making an informed choice.

A patient who chooses homeopathy over chemotherapy based on bad science isn’t.

For me the same principles apply here. Their judgement is based on a belief in religion which I cannot accept is a reliable source of evidence, and thus their decision cannot be “informed”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back