Onions and Anderson

As of close of play last night:

Jimmy - 24 wickets at 8.88
Bunny - 20 wickets at 21.45

Add in that they have Derbyshire 17/3 with 2 for Bunny and 1 for Jimmy today.

The oldest and best swingers in town.

I'd like to hear the logic about us not keeping onions, crazy
They where worried about giving him a 2 year deal after previous experience with ageing fast bowlers and the fact that he no longer was involved in the one day set up.
Sadly that has back fired by his performances in his 2 seasons with Lancs. What makes it even worse is they then gave a 34 year old Aussie a 2 year deal who has looked nowhere near good enough.

They where worried about giving him a 2 year deal after previous experience with ageing fast bowlers and the fact that he no longer was involved in the one day set up.
Sadly that has back fired by his performances in his 2 seasons with Lancs. What makes it even worse is they then gave a 34 year old Aussie a 2 year deal who has looked nowhere near good enough.

He was only out of the white ball set up cos Durham use it to blood young players (see Rushworth this year).

Onions laid the blame at Botham's door on a recent podcast.

He was only out of the white ball set up cos Durham use it to blood young players (see Rushworth this year).

Onions laid the blame at Botham's door on a recent podcast.

Oh what did he say?

Yeah I know makes no sense in the context of Rimmington

Think I was annoyed at Bunny at the time just as was gutted he was going, looking back very poor by Durham, and with all the younger lads leaving, was even more reason to back people who really wanted to be here

Its CC, bowlers play well into their 40s

Shame as him and Rushy in tandem for the last few years, we would have won more games, and it then becomes easier for the young lads behind them

Last edited:
Oh what did he say?

Yeah I know makes no sense in the context of Rimmington

Think I was annoyed at Bunny at the time just as was gutted he was going, looking back very poor by Durham, and with all the younger lads leaving, was even more reason to back people who really wanted to be here

Its CC, bowlers play well into their 40s

Shame as him and Rushy in tandem for the last few years, we would have won more games, and it then becomes easier for the young lads behind them

He had a full interview in a podcast called Cricket Badger before the start of the season.

Not defending the decision to let Bunny go but at the time I thought there was a real possibility that Wood's England career was all but done. With Wood being 7 years younger, and us, I presume, not being able to afford them both, he was the one I'd have kept in the hope he could have reinvented himself as an 80mph county seamer who bats a bit.

Not defending the decision to let Bunny go but at the time I thought there was a real possibility that Wood's England career was all but done. With Wood being 7 years younger, and us, I presume, not being able to afford them both, he was the one I'd have kept in the hope he could have reinvented himself as an 80mph county seamer who bats a bit.
I think you are spot on with the Onions and Wood situation.

I'd like to hear the logic about us not keeping onions, crazy
I'm sure there was logic .... injuries, age, not expected to play as much or be as effective, trying to control expenditure, allowing space for Potts and Carse to come through.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be wrong and Potts and Carse had injuries.

You have to admit that in making decisions you're going to be wrong from time to time. Don't blame folks for being wrong, al that means is they aren't making decisions. You can blame folk for making decisions without logic.

Rimmington was brought in for one day cricket, and he was ok at that.

Salisbury -60 wkts at 23 in 14 games( in effect 1 full season) and 25 year old instead of an injury prone 36 year old, and on a much cheaper salary-no brainer.
Rimmington was a mistake- Colly recommendation ,I believe, who clearly hadn't updated on his form.

Wood will be the next big decision they have to make. Hopefully he impresses enough to get T20 contracts around the world and then his Durham salary is not so important.
It's a different setup now with more of an emphasis on short form cricket and next year the salary cap goes ..... so, guessing I'd say he has a good chance.

Back