Omicron - bit of positive news & some optimism

Sajid 'The Jav' Javid is a thickie
The same people sharing this tiny amount of anecdotal evidence are the same people screaming on other threads it’s too early to draw any conclusions on anything :lol: And one of the quotes being widely shared was taken out of context.

It’s either too early to draw any conclusions or it’s not. People seem to want to cherry pick what they want to believe which is fine but then sharing that as irrefutable evidence is bonkers
Twelve hours late, but THICKIES please read THIS

Last edited:
I agree with being positive I just find it ironic that people complain that everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions but then do exactly the same thing on the first bit of positive news. Some antivaxers on Twitter seem to have taken as conclusive proof Omricon is nothing to worry about which is the risk on the other side and also not helpful.

There are also conflicting reports from other people on the ground. The head of ICU in the biggest hospital in Soweto said they are seeing a different picture. The stats also show a 3 fold increase in hospital admissions where it is spreading in a few weeks (Was on CNN this morning).

The point is everyone should just let the scientists determine on both sides

Bit of context but about 75% of South Africans are unvaccinated I believe, so wouldn’t it be expected a high percentage of people needing hospital treatment would indeed be unvaccinated?

Bit of context but about 75% of South Africans are unvaccinated I believe, so wouldn’t it be expected a high percentage of people needing hospital treatment would indeed be unvaccinated?

But they have always been unvaccinated. And the stats show a massive jump is hospitalisations since this was discovered. This is in the Mirror but it’s true from the data SA has published. They are getting a massive jump in hospital cases.

Whist they have a high unvaccinated they have advantages in other areas such as the average age in SA is only 27. So not at all comparable to other Western countries in a disease that mainly impacts the elderly

But they have always been unvaccinated. And the stats show a massive jump is hospitalisations since this was discovered. This is in the Mirror but it’s true from the data SA has published. They are getting a massive jump in hospital cases.

Whist they have a high unvaccinated they have advantages in other areas such as the average age in SA is only 27. So not at all comparable to other Western countries in a disease that mainly impacts the elderly

you have hit the nail on the head with So not at all comparable to other Western countries

its not like for like at all, for starters we are packed in like sardines in the uk, it must be a concern at the speed its spreading, but then the uk has some of the highest uptake figures for vaccines with mixed age ranges, tending towards the older.

fact is we just have to wait and see, its all guess work atm, but we will know pretty soon either way.

Head of Moderna is predicting Moderna vaccine will not be very effective against it

Pfizer and AZ say they are confident they can get a new vaccine out to counter it if necessary in about 100 days

Thanks mate, that make sense, hopefully it’s the fact it’s spreading more rather than being more potent so to speak. As that’s what some have been saying over there.

I thought the issue with the Omigod variant was not its immediate danger but that the type of mutation that it has was partly sidestepping the vaccines and the real worry was that if it was allowed to become dominant, FUTURE mutations from it could leave us largely defenceless until we redeveloped the vaccines. But tbh, if I'm wrong its because I'm weary of it all...

I thought the issue with the Omigod variant was not its immediate danger but that the type of mutation that it has was partly sidestepping the vaccines and the real worry was that if it was allowed to become dominant, FUTURE mutations from it could leave us largely defenceless until we redeveloped the vaccines. But tbh, if I'm wrong its because I'm weary of it all...

I think it’s that too. It seems all over the place at the moment

Omicron is the 15th letter of the Greek alphabetical. So we’ve gone alpha, beta, gamma, delta and Omicron.

What happened to the 10 variants in between ?
They were identified but Omicron is the first since Delta to be classed as a "variant of concern"

This was the Epsilon variant:

This variant was supposed to be called N but it would have caused a lot of confusion referring to the "Nu Variant". They also skipped Xi for fear of upsetting the Chinese president

So we have the "Pi Variant" to look forward to which is sure to come in 3.14 types.

Last edited:

Back